Skip to main content

A Post-Halloween Depression Walk On Christmas Eve//October 85th, 2023

 I am still going on post-Halloween depression walks on Christmas Eve.

I am always looking for the remnants of Halloween. Not just the forgotten decorations, or the pumpkins still fighting for their place in this world, but also the feelings. The dead leaves. The memories. The smell in the air. The ghost that whispers to me, You didn’t dream it. 

It’s so easy to get lost in Christmas, whether you enjoy it or not. I think I do it, too, albeit briefly, but it’s impossible not to when it suffocates the world for so long. This afternoon I found myself watching some Christmas-themed films from my youth, trying to feel something. It’s beaten so far into our heads that we’re supposed to feel something this time of year, that we have to. I lose myself to the desperation and depression. I lose myself to the memories of a childhood that will never return, to feelings I can’t and won’t get back. December is like a funeral…for childhood, for autumn, for different variations of myself.

It is on this desolate walk, Christmas Eve afternoon after marathoning The Polar Express, How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the 2000 version as there is a story behind it that remains dear to my heart no matter how long it’s been since a viewing), and Olive The Other Reindeer, that I find myself once more.

As I walk, the haunting, oddly depressing theme music from The Snowman plays in my head, perhaps because I have been doing my yearly bout of reflection on that film recently, but it seems oddly appropriate. A happy day, but a sad one. A feeling of death and emptiness as I look at the leaves that have turned brown and brittle. I step toward the lake and ask the trees if they remember me, so excited on a late October afternoon. And I can tell that they do, but they are cold and tired now, their colors of a celebration gone by.


The pumpkins I pass feel like grave markers, in a sense. I am proud of them, for still being here. For holding on, despite it all. But the porches feel like cemeteries now. I can distantly feel something that was, but it feels so far away now. As if it never happened at all, and the pumpkins are the only proof that it did. How do they fade into the background now, when they used to rule the world? How can something look so much the same, yet be reduced to almost nothingness, a short two months later? 

Sometimes, seeing the remaining pumpkins during Christmas, makes me feel like an amnesiac waking up, snapping back to life. I’m not crazy. This happened. And the life I feel so forced to live for the month of December is not all there is.

There’s a triumph to it, and a melancholy. I remember that Halloween is real, yet I remember how far away it is. I pass the beach and think of my upcoming boss battle with summer. Tomorrow may be Christmas. That pressure will now fade away. But there’s still a whole world, including that scorching, exhausting final lap, between me and Halloween. It’s an end and a beginning, and I pray it won’t feel so long.

There are, also, a couple of forgotten decorations. 


As I pass by the clown that has smiled at me for so long now, I wonder what his story is. Are the people who live in this house like me? Can they not bear to part with him? Or was he simply forgotten about? Does anyone else see him as I do, as my heart leaps for just a moment, seeing a part of the world I still recognize as my own? So simple, yet such a beacon of hope. 

I wonder how things will look, when Halloween returns again. What will my life be like? Will the same decorations stand in the same now-empty, or now-Christmas-polluted, spots as they did not so long ago? 

Autumn has faded into winter, but we keep pushing forward. We come out of our Christmas trance, and start again.

Stay spooky, my friends.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while