Skip to main content

Times Spent With The Great Pumpkin//October 92nd, 2023

I am six years old. 1993. Halloween is approaching fast. I am filled with wonder; it's my third year of truly understanding it, celebrating it.

I am on the phone with my Aunt Trish. She is the reason I started trick-or-treating. The reason I faced my 'fear' of Halloween and was able to embrace it as my own. We're discussing the upcoming holiday, the plans, hoping for no rain as I have been sick the last few weeks. 

Somehow I get on the subject of a Barbie doll I saw recently a local store. She's a friend of Barbie I've never seen or heard of before, Kayla. I'm not sure what it is that enchants me so much about her. She's new, she's different, her name is somewhat close to mine...It could be anything, but I want her. I'm not sure why I'm telling my aunt this, maybe a hope that she'll buy her for me. Kids do silly things out of desperation. It feels urgent.

Aunt Trish doesn't offer to buy the doll for me, though. However, she tells me that maybe, if I'm good, the Great Pumpkin will bring it for me. 

My ears prick up at that. The Great Pumpkin? How have I never heard of him before? I know, of course, if Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy...Is there a Halloween creature who brings presents, too? Why does no one speak of him?

I think about the fact that I'm the only child I know who prefers Halloween to Christmas. And I think, for a moment, that maybe that is why.

Aunt Trish takes me to rent It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. I feel like I'm being let it on an amazing secret. Suddenly it doesn't hurt so much that I'm never invited to join the exclusive clubs on my school playground. I'm clearly about to become part of something truly elite. Something much more meaningful. 

I watch the movie, and am disappointed that the Great Pumpkin himself, never actually appears. Somehow, though, I miss the point that he's not meant to be real in the first place. Perhaps I am just like Linus Van Pelt. Besides, I can very easily conjure the image of the Great Pumpkin in my mind. Suddenly certain types of decorations I've been seeing around, make a strange, secretive sense. I envision that Great Pumpkin as a Jack O'Lantern head on the body of a ghost. Ethereal. Special. The truest symbol of Halloween.

Aunt Trish tells me the Great Pumpkin will come on the night before Halloween. We do a little chant to summon him, something like 

'Great Pumpkin, Great Pumpkin, you are such a fright! Great Pumpkin, Great Pumpkin, make my dreams come true tonight!' 

And that night, I go to bed more excited than I've been about Christmas Eve. This is Halloween Eve...it's a different kind of excitement. I lay awake, imagining the Great Pumpkin in my own living room. Every slight noise I hear, I wonder if it's him. At one point I'm certain I hear what sounds like a doll box being placed on the coffee table. Could it be?

When it's finally time to get up in the morning, sure enough, the doll is there waiting for me. The Great Pumpkin has come through! And my father has a story. Perhaps the greatest story he has ever told me.

He tells me that he saw the Great Pumpkin last night. That he was so curious about this being that he spent part of the night in the living room. The Great Pumpkin arrived, and initially placed an action figure on the coffee table. My father awoke and explained to him that no, a little girl who wanted a doll lives here, and the pumpkin shook his head, as if to laugh at his own mistake, and quickly swapped the presents. I wonder about the little boy that the action figure was for. Do I know him? Is there another child in my town, maybe even in my own neighborhood, who loves Halloween as much as I do?

I listen as my father continues his story, telling of how the Great Pumpkin does not speak, but there is a rattling in his head when he moves. A magic candle of sorts. An almost-voice. Looking back on the previous night, I'm certain that I heard it. That all of the noises I heard while lying awake were real. I am a chosen one of the Great Pumpkin himself.

*************

A few years later, I witness a gift being handed off between my aunt and my mother, thus ending the myth of the Great Pumpkin as a magical gift-giver. I take it hard, possibly harder than I did a few years later when I found out the truth about Santa Claus. Losing the Great Pumpkin felt infinitely more personal. It was a gut punch. 

However, the older I've gotten, the more I've realized, year after year, that the Great Pumpkin is still, in fact, very real to me. No, he doesn't bring me toys on the night before Halloween anymore. He is a much more constant presence in my life. He is the wind that flutters dry leaves around me in the dead of winter. He is the forgotten decoration on my neighbor's front door. He is the cloudy, stormy day in the middle of summer that reminds me of what's to come. He is the constant reminder that Halloween is out there. He is hope. 

There has always, in fact, been a Great Pumpkin. And I have, from a young age, been lucky enough to know him personally. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while