Skip to main content

An Actual Christmas Story//October 74th, 2022

 Hang onto your pumpkins, boils and ghouls, because today I'm about to do the unthinkable:

Today I'm going to share with you the story of a Christmas memory!

If you know me at all, you know that I have extremely vivid memories of just about every Halloween I've ever experienced. I could probably, if I put my mind to it, remember every thought I've ever had about Halloween, in vivid detail. However, even despite the fact that I actually did love it at one point, this is not the case when it comes to Christmas. 

I remember the feeling of my childhood Christmases. I remember traditions and that childhood excitement. I remember how the day felt, how the decorations looked, the feeling of believing in Santa and the emptiness of that belief going away. But, for the most part, I really don't remember specifics. There's nothing about any one particular day or year that stands out to me.

Except for one thing. My only vivid, and in my eyes, very amusing, childhood Christmas memory.

I figured, why not share it, since people seem to enjoy my Halloween nostalgia stories so much? I do get a kick out of this story, maybe someone else will too.

The year was 2000. I had recently turned thirteen. I had dressed up as Dorothy from The Wizard Of Oz that year for Halloween and carried a stuffed animal of Scamp from Lady & The Tramp as my Toto, because I couldn't find the official Toto plush my grandfather had bought me a few years prior. My father also had knee surgery that Halloween afternoon and my mother almost didn't make it home in time for me to get my costume out of the house, and I almost wound up having to wear my neighbor's adult plus-size cow costume, filled with pillows to make it fit. None of this is really relevant to the Christmas story but I thought it was worth a mention for the sake of staying on-brand and also as proof that I remember Halloween more vividly than anything else.

This is also one of very few costumes I have an actual picture of, so, may as well share it. My freaking bangs in childhood, man. 

Anyway. This was my second year of officially no longer believing in Santa Claus. Christmas time came around and I felt that pang of disappointment at the beginning of the season, as I remembered the truth about Santa's existence, or lack thereof. It was hard to get excited in the same way.

At least, until I found a gift to ask for, to get excited about. 

This came in the form of a doll, of Cindy Lou Who, from the live-action version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas, which was being released that year. Maybe it was an odd thing for a thirteen-year-old to want, but I was always a doll collector, well into my adult years. I only really officially "left the hobby" around the time I turned thirty, but even now, I still will occasionally buy a doll here or there. 

I'm not sure what it was about a Cindy Lou Who doll, specifically, that spoke to me so much. It's not like I was some uber-fan of the original Grinch cartoon; it was one of those things I watched maybe once a year if I happened to catch its yearly airing. I never owned a copy of it and never cared to. But for some reason, I was taken with the dolls of live-action character. I suppose I just found them unique, with their funky hairstyles and outfits, and thought the face mold, made to look like Taylor Momsen, whose band, The Pretty Reckless, I really enjoy now as an adult, was cute. But whatever it was, Miss Cindy Lou Who revived my Christmas spirit, and was all I could think about throughout the month of December. 

At some point, I figured out that my parents had to order the doll online. (My mother may actually have told me...I initially wanted the version in pink pajamas the most, but the only one she was able to find was the one in the Christmas outfit with a red cape.) Once I knew the doll was most likely in the house, I started wondering why I couldn't just have it. I knew I'd be getting other things for Christmas too; it's not like one doll not being under the tree that morning was going to make some colossal difference. I asked, probably begged, even, a few times, and was always told no, even after offering to pay for the doll out of my allowance or with Christmas money I received in the mail from other relatives. I truly didn't get it, as to what was so important about waiting until Christmas Day. Looking back on it, this was probably the very beginning of my calendar-defiant ways, as I questioned what difference it would really make, to receive a doll on, say, the 15th of December as opposed to the 25th, since I knew it wasn't coming from Santa Claus anyway. This is probably the exact moment I began to stop seeing the point of doing things as a calendar dictated. 

And oh, did things get worse one weekend when my aunt decided to take me to actually see the movie. I've always had a way of getting attached to fictional characters, and actually seeing Cindy Lou onscreen and loving her character, only made me want the doll even more. When I got home that day, I wound up having what was probably one of the most explosive arguments I ever had with my parents, over how stupid it was that they just wouldn't give me the doll. It was odd, because usually when my father would get involved in an argument that happened between my mother and I, I would very quickly back down, as he was the enforcer. Arguing with my father, about anything, was literally asking to be punished, but for some reason, a Cindy Lou Who doll was the hill my thirteen-year-old ass was prepared to die on. We fought all through dinner that night, complete with table-banging and underage profanities. The fact that I even got the doll at all after that, Christmas Day or otherwise, still astounds me. But, I'm fairly certain, after that night, for however many remaining days there were until Christmas, my father actually drove around with the doll in his work truck, so I wouldn't even be able to go looking for it in the house. I also remember my mother saying she wished she'd waited until the summer before high school to tell me the truth about Santa for sure. 

I passed the time between that epic fight and Christmas by making up riddles as to where Cindy Lou might be if she were hidden somewhere in the house. Every day I made up a new one, but the only one I remember is "A household appliance is where she'll be reached, but please take her out, or she will be bleached!" (She was never actually in the washing machine, but it made for a good rhyme.) I also would tell my mother, every time she asked me to do something, that I'd do it only if she gave me Cindy Lou, but at this point, it was now just a goofy joke. I guess the fight involving my father snapped me back to reality about how ridiculous I was being, but deep down I did still wish I could just have the doll. 

Anyway, Christmas morning came and there she was, kind of the centerpiece under the Christmas tree. My mother joked that she was going to take pictures of every angle of my face once I saw her, but she didn't. I remember tucking her away in my room once guests started coming over, as I was very worried something would happen to her, and, despite Christmas being over, when I took her out of the box, I added her to the little display in my room, with this wooden Christmas tree I had for several years. 

For all my memories of how badly I wanted that doll, I actually have very few memories of actually having her in my possession. I know she stayed out on display in my room for awhile...I believe she was one of the toys I talked to out loud if I'd had a bad day at school or something. I probably watched the movie with her by my side once it came out on VHS, but I have no specific memories of anything else I may have done with her. I don't remember when the novelty wore off and I eventually put her away, either. I just know I found her in a bin we were going through after Hurricane Sandy, and my mother and I both burst out laughing, remembering that crazy Christmas season back in the year 2000. She insisted I had to keep the doll, and I know I still do have it somewhere in my storage unit. I did do a photoshoot with her around Christmas the next year, too:

I had to dig through my old doll collecting journal on LiveJournal to find this picture. I don't know why Photobucket watermarked it but whatever. 

Through some poking around in adulthood, I've discovered that the original version of the doll I wanted, a soft-bodied one in pink pajamas, was actually pretty rare, and can sell for high-ish amounts of money online. However, when this story popped into my head again for the year a few days ago, I decided to search it on Mercari, and ran across a very affordable one, so, for the sake of nostalgia, my inner child, and the only real Christmas memory I have, I bought her. 


Twenty-two years later, I finally have the very exact doll that sent me into the most epic, and probably only, Christmas frenzy of my life...and just may have been the first stepping stone in me challenging, and eventually rejecting, calendar-driven life. 

Stay spooky, my friends. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while