Skip to main content

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?”

Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there.

I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it.

And sometimes, something amazing happens.

If you haven’t read my previous post, Have You Seen This Pumpkin?, I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story.

The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself. 

When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while trick-or-treating!”

I never expected what actually happened.

The morning after I made that post, I woke to a couple of messages from someone I couldn’t recall ever speaking to before. Her name was Angelique and it looked like we were in a Halloween shopping group together. To my surprise, she had sent me pictures of a shelf in a thrift shop that someone had posted in a different group, focused on vintage Halloween, and at the back of the shelf was none other than Winky, the infamous Winking Pumpkin, herself! My mind started racing and I wondered if I should try to contact the person who posted the photos to see if they could pick it up and send it to me, but then I looked at the other pictures that Angelique had sent, and it looked like the original poster had bought the pumpkin for herself. I was a little disappointed, but at least now I had finally seen the thing for sale somewhere, and had more proof of its existence than a blurry screenshot from an episode of Sabrina The Teenage Witch. Seeing a clear photo of it for the first time in twenty-one years was probably the most surreal thing of all. And what were the odds of someone finding it at their own thrift store the same day I made my blog post?!

I kept looking at the pictures on and off that morning, then noticed a barcode still at the top of the pumpkin. I debated a bit, then finally decided to send a message to the person who’d bought the pumpkin, Lindsey, asking if there was any brand info or anything she could give me to aid in my search for my own. I figured she may not even see the message since I wasn’t a friend or follower, but I had to try, as this was the very first lead on my ultimate Halloween holy grail that I’d ever had.

To my surprise, Lindsey messaged me back fairly quickly, and sent me a bunch of pictures of the brand information and barcode, everything I might need. For the first time, I also realized just how big this grail pumpkin of mine was. Only ever seeing it from afar, I had no idea that it was over two feet! But, also to my surprise, Lindsey told me that she’d actually be willing to sell it to me if she could only find a way to ship it! I was beside myself, absolutely floored that I finally had a real chance to get the pumpkin that had been eluding me for so many years! 

About a week went by, and several messages, but Lindsey finally was able to find a box that Winky would fit inside, and, last Friday, I was finally able to officially meet the pumpkin that saved my Halloween spirit so many years ago in person.


It still amazes me to even just look at a clear picture of her.

It’s honestly surreal, to finally have this pumpkin that I’ve searched so many years for. As exhausting as the hunt has been, it became part of me over the years. It’s a strange feeling now, when I’m scrolling through Halloween listings on resale sites, not to try searching “winking pumpkin” every single way I can think of. But it also feels like an immense weight has been lifted, and that stressed out little girl, sitting in the backseat of her parents’ car in 1999, can finally relax now. It’s symbolic in a way. That year, that was one of the most uncertain times in my life, has ultimately shown that me that sometimes, no matter what it takes, things really do work out, and giving up, when you really want something, should never be an option. And sometimes you make new friends along the way, too!

Lindsey and I have both come to the conclusion that the reason this pumpkin is so rare is because of its size. If anyone does still have one they’d like to sell, they’re likely not going to do it online due to how difficult it is to ship. And, also due to the size, I can’t imagine that many people having the window or wall space to accommodate it. 

I’m not sure if I’ll end up rearranging things in the long run, but for now, Winky acts as a rising sun (Or maybe harvest moon?) behind Enoch.


I think on some level, I’ve always pictured her as being the sun that shines over my world of Halloween.

And now, that light is finally here, in person, radiating Halloween spirit and reminding us never to give up on what makes us happiest.

Stay spooky, my friends.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you were able to get her! I remember you showing me the pic from Sabrina a couple years ago, and I've looked occasionally, but I never spotted the same pumpkin. Is she poster material, or solid/flat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She’s actually somewhere between a regular cardboard die cut material and poster material. Very different from anything I’ve ever seen before. From afar she looks like a normal cardboard cutout, but she’s actually a little thinner and glossier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent! I'm happy she arrived safely. I remember, when I was looking around after you showed me the picture, that I discovered the Sabrina series was filmed in New Jersey - so I wondered if that pumpkin was a bit of a retro-edition from a store chain in your area. Even then, I couldn't find her anywhere, so I'm really happy she's finally made her way home to you.

      Delete
    2. That is really interesting! This one was found in Indiana, but up until I found that out, I really did always think she had to be somewhat of a local thing. Although you never know where this one could’ve originally come from. I like to pretend that maybe it’s the same one I saw in the window all those years ago and the family just moved. lol Only one person besides the one who sent the pictures to me seemed to even notice it in Lindsey’s original post, and commented that they remembered getting it at a Hallmark store in 1980. I would love to know the true history of the design. I’ve actually thought about writing to Amscan, but depending on how old this pumpkin actually is, who even knows if anyone still working for the company would know anything about it? I may try someday though. I’d love to know if it’s truly a rare item or if you just don’t see it for sale that much because it’s awkward to ship!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you found your holy grail Halloween treasure! I'm not much of a commenter, but I want to let you know that I enjoy reading your blog, and hope you keep it going. I'm pretty new here. Keep on keepin' on :)
    Or creep on creepin' on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I’ve been having so much fun with this blog over this past year! It’s always nice to hear that other people enjoy it too!

      Delete
  4. I am so happy you finally got her! I LOVE reading your blogs, you are a very talented writer and I always laugh out loud, get a little teary eyed, or can really relate to your posts! Please don't stop the blog I love it!🎃🎃🎃🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your kindness and encouragement is one of the big things that really keeps me going! I love sharing all of these memories and spooky fun things, and it means so much to me that others enjoy it as well!

      Delete
  5. I have one I’m searching for that my mom hung on the door every year. A large flat vacuum formed JOL. My holy grail!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp