Skip to main content

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before.

Last year, I did have somewhat of an epiphany regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart. 

Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recognize. I feel as though either I am not here, or that I am and no one can really see me anymore. Today I am a decoration, or a pumpkin with the beginnings of rot, staring off of a porch that's gone dim, wondering how much time I truly have left. 

Today I feel like someone very close to me has died. A memory pops into my mind and I feel joyous and then a powerful sense of loss when I remember that the subject of my memories is gone, at least for awhile. 365 days, 52 weeks...however you wish to slice it, it all feels like an eternity today.

Today I feel like I should be headed into a storage facility with the remaining decorations. What use am I, in a world where I only fit in once a year? Another year of being stared at, another year of sticking out like a puzzle piece that a child insists should fit in a particular spot but obviously doesn't. It feels less and less worth it every year, and more and more baffling. Why are some things acceptable during one time of the year, but not another? For me the secret of life is to do what lmakes me happy no matter the calendar date. But for most, not living life by a calendar is a scandalous concept. Unthinkable, almost dirty somehow. And it makes me want to disappear.

I won't, of course. I'll continue to shine my beacon of jack o'lantern light, for myself and for anyone else who may need it. And I'm sure, soon enough, I'll find that mournful side of November again, the part that feels like fall, still, with the echoes of Halloween rather than the sighs of defeat. 

But for today, I am sad. I am lost. I am, to an extent, without purpose or reason. I look in the mirror and my reflection seems distant. I look at the long road stretched out in front of me and my legs ache. 

Such is life, on November 1st. If I can count on nothing else, I can count on the weight of this day.

Stay spooky, my friends. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while