Skip to main content

The Halloween Flame IS Still Burning//October 43rd, 2021

 If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve probably seen me post recently about a song I made up as a child. 

Though music has never been my strong suit, or even a major interest of mine, like most kids, I went through an “imagining myself as a pop star” phase, and would often make up little songs that would, maybe, one day, end up on my chart-topping debut album. 

One such song was something called “The Halloween Flame Is Still Burning”. I have been racking my brain trying to remember all the lyrics since November 1st hit, but alas, I can only remember small bits.

The opening line was a solemn declaration:

November first, and the day’s gone by…

The chorus culminated with:

From inside the window of the car I am yearning, ‘cause the Halloween flame on the candle’s still burning!

And, of course, the big finale, because what song could ever be complete without it?:

…And it burns BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

(Actual Halloween candle from ObscuraHortus on Etsy/Instagram)

There’s a part of me that’s actually relatively glad I can’t recall the rest of the song, because it was probably terribly cringeworthy, but the meaning behind the song is something that still remains close to my heart to this day. 

Though I believe it was actually springtime when I made the song up, singing to the neighbors’ cat, who had wandered into the yard, it was a song about both sadness and hope once Halloween has come to an end. I thought of all the times I had gone for car rides soon after Halloween’s end, and there were still houses who had their decorations up. Those houses and those decorations were beacons of hope during a desolate time when all the color and magic seemed to leave the world, and I could never help but wonder about them. In a world where Halloween seems to be put away and forgotten so quickly, were these people simply too lazy to follow suit, or was it something more? Were they like me, desperate to hold onto Halloween until the absolutely couldn’t anymore? And did they know the joy they were bringing, by leaving their decorations up just a little bit longer than most? Was that, perhaps, the point?

I know, ultimately, I was probably just overanalyzing the fact that some people just hadn’t gotten around to taking down their Halloween decorations yet, but regardless of intent, it was those houses that kept “the Halloween flame on the candle still burning”. I never forgot them, and would often keep track through the years, looking forward to passing the house that might still have some Halloween magic on November 1st and beyond. 

These days, as time has gone on, it seems like more and more people are snuffing out their Halloween candles, earlier and earlier. On the way home from spending Halloween weekend in Sleepy Hollow this year, on the afternoon of November 1st, I noticed that a neighbor down the street was already fully decorated for Christmas. I understand loving both holidays, though I personally do not, but every year it feels more and more like the Christmas decorations are stalking the Halloween decorations with weapons in hand, just waiting to kill them and take their place. Even if I did still love Christmas the way I did when I was much younger, I can’t see wanting to transition between holidays that quickly, but it seems I’m in the minority on that issue. And while everyone has the right to decorate, or un-decorate, as they see fit, it is painful to see that the Halloween flame doesn’t seem to shine quite as brightly anymore, once “the day’s gone by”.

Yesterday, though, I got the most pleasant surprise. I took a little trip to Sleepy Hollow, as I try to do often even when it’s not officially Halloween time, because just being there makes me the happiest I think I’m capable of being, and as we approached the iconic “Welcome To Historic Sleepy Hollow” sign, I noticed two pumpkins sitting beneath it.

Those pumpkins had appeared on the night before Halloween, as if to say, “Halloween is here!”, but I, sadly, never had a chance to photograph them before we left, despite how magical I found the scene to be. I thought of them often, though.

To see them again yesterday, still looking almost miraculously healthy, almost as if they were waiting for me to return, instantly brought the memories of my childhood song, and my lifelong search for the Halloween flame in the supposed off-season, rushing back to me. 

Sleepy Hollow is my comfort. A place I know I can always go, to feel something, to know that the magic is never truly dead. And to see those pumpkins there yesterday, was the truest definition of “the Halloween flame on the candle still burning”.

And it truly does burn bright.


Stay spooky, my friends. The pumpkins are always watching over us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while