Skip to main content

Ghosts Of Halloween//October 58th, 2021

 Late November reminds us that, no matter how beautiful the fall season is, the truth is, everything around us is dying.

Things look so vibrant and alive in October that it’s easy to forget that fact. The world is alight with the colors of a happy, cozy fire. What could be more celebratory than that?

Late November, though. That is a different type of fall. The once-colorful leaves, ablaze in shades of orange and red and yellow, are now all brown and withered. Most of them have fallen now, but the ones that haven’t are lonely and brittle, clinging to their trees by the thinnest of thread. It paints a desperate picture, watching those last little leaves cling to life. The color has gone out of them and yet they hang on, as if afraid of being forgotten. 

The clock ticks on, from Halloween, to Thanksgiving, and now nearing December. The trees begin to illuminate again, but this time artificially, as the residents of the homes they surround dutifully attach lights to their branches in preparation for the upcoming holiday season. It can be a pretty sight, but so manufactured compared to the fire of natural leaves. It starts to feel like autumn was never here at all, as if it were some beautiful dream, forgotten by most when November arrived, and now abandoned by all after Thanksgiving. 

Do you ever think you’re crazy? Like you’re the only person who remembers the joy of the season gone by, like you’re always actively searching for its ghost?

No sooner do you have that thought, when you see it. An actual ghost of Halloween, floating from the trees in front of an otherwise undecorated house. Clinging to life and longing to be revered, just like the brown leaves that dance around him, sadly and mournfully, when the wind blows.

He faces toward the street, greeting passers-by as if Halloween is still in the very near future. He gives you a brief version of that flutter of excitement you feel when the first neighbor puts up the first decoration of the Halloween season. You wonder if anyone else has noticed him, and you wonder how and why he is still there.

Was he simply forgotten, when the rest of the decorations were taken down? Is there perhaps a child in the house who grew attached to him and requested that he stay up a little bit longer? Or is it possible that the owners of the house are, at least a little, like you? Is it a mere coincidence, or is the ghoul there purposely to try and keep the Halloween flame burning, as the rest of the world moves on like it never happened at all?

Regardless of the circumstances, you are glad that he’s there. Halloween already feels so far away, even though it didn’t happen all that long ago. Sometimes you almost do question if it’s all a dream, but then a sight like this reminds you that it’s all very real, very beautiful, and always on its way back around. 

There are ghosts of Halloween, and they will appear, to those of us that know how to look for them.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not So Sure About This Social Media Thing//October 94th, 2026

 I started this blog six years ago on New Year's Day. I had been through some major life changes in 2018/2019, and really found myself along the way. I felt as though I really had cemented a place for myself within the Halloween community on social media, and often, when I would caption my posts on Instagram with snippets of memories, or a specific feeling that maybe not many others could understand, I would get comments and messages from new friends and followers, complimenting the way I wrote, sometimes even asking for more, and so, the idea to start a blog again was born, and, silly as it may sound, I am very proud that I've managed to stick with it as long as I have. Long work hours, personal problems, bouts of anxiety and depression....none of that has ever fully stopped me from coming back and doing what I love.  But, lately, I have been feeling a little off about social media in general, and that's something I really would like to talk about, as I feel it taking a to...

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’...

Tales From A Walk: April 5th, 2026; AKA Easterween/Creepster/Zombie Jesus Day, Etc.

 Someone asked me once When do you stop mourning the previous Halloween and start looking forward to the next one? That's always been a hard question for me to answer, as I am always looking back or looking ahead, depending on the situation.  I often see what was, and what will be again, simultaneously.  But today, I went for a walk. Probably my first full walk since Christmas time. That last walk, the remnants were still there. Though it was a different holiday entirely, I still met some rotting pumpkins, and some dead leaves clinging to their brittle branches. Then two back to back winter storms came in February, burying us in two feet of snow both times. I don't know that I've ever felt more like I was in alternate reality, or farther away from Halloween. Today was different, though.  When Easter comes, you hear all this talk of spring, and new beginnings, and that sort of thing.  And I guess it never really hit me how that can apply to Halloween as well. Wal...