Skip to main content

Halloween Kills//October 36th, 2021

 Today, I feel like discussing a slightly controversial topic within the Halloween community:

The recent entry into the Halloween franchise, Halloween Kills.


I have been a fan of the Halloween franchise since before I ever saw the movies, if that makes sense. We had a neighbor when I was very small who would play the soundtracks every year on Halloween night, from the time the kids started getting off the school bus until who knows when, after we’d all gone in for the night. It was almost surreal; for that one night, the entire neighborhood could hear the eerie music, if we were outside. I felt lucky in a way, and was, of course, intrigued to see the movies that it originated from. 

I wasn’t allowed to until I was much older, obviously, but I would occasionally sneak peeks, as most of them were regularly broadcast on the cable channels in my childhood. The most common one I remember seeing was actually Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers, so much of the imagery that comes to mind when I think nostalgically about these movies, comes from that one. I also remember the hype around Halloween: H20 when it was going to be released, around the time I was turning eleven. 

It’s probably no surprise that the Halloween franchise became a favorite of mine once I was old enough and had enough of an interest in horror to watch and appreciate them all. While I think Freddy Krueger just might win for overall favorite slasher due to his personality and also the fact that I think he was truly the first one I was ever exposed to (and also led to me having an irrational fear of animated people who looked like pencil drawings for many years, but that’s a whole other story for another day) I am always more likely to come back to the Halloween movies for a rewatch, because of the atmosphere and the connection to the most important day of my year. I was very, very excited when the 2018 movie was going to be released, spawning a new trilogy that, as many horror reboots/reimaginings/etc. don’t tend to do, would include direct connections to the original story. 

I understand that the convoluted timeline can be a pain to follow, and it is a little sad to think some of my favorite entries into the franchise, technically didn’t happen if you choose to follow this new timeline exclusively. But, if I really wanted to be bitter about that, I could have already complained that Halloween 4 and H20 actually cancel each other out, so there’s that. I think with some of these things, you just have to accept multiple canons. (This is something that I’ve gotten used to as an AHS fan, to say the absolute least!)

With that said, I really enjoyed the 2018 Halloween entry, though I found it to be a bit of a slow burn. To this day, if I rewatch it, I’m likely to get a little distracted until the action really starts, but I think it was done very well and this is one of my favorite interpretations of Laurie Strode that we’ve seen in these films, though I personally feel like the character would be more likely to end up like her H20 self, and end up moving away and creating a new identity, especially after having kids. But regardless, seeing this new, rough-around-the-edges Laurie Strode, so deeply affected by what happened to her forty years ago, but still so unwilling to back down, is pretty amazing. It’s almost as if she’s joint telepathically with Michael somehow, just knowing that he will never truly rest and will eventually come back, even after forty years.

Halloween Kills picks up right where 2018’s story ends. Laurie and her daughter and granddaughter are rushed to the hospital while first responders attempt to put out the fire at Laurie’s home, which is, of course, a bad idea. Michael is set loose and while he’s his usual self, and does what’s to be expected, there’s also an element added by this being the first time we really see Michael as the hunted, vs. simply the hunter. This Michael is honestly a lot more brutal than anything we’ve seen outside of the Rob Zombie remakes 

The difference between Halloween Kills and the 2018 installment is, Kills is an incredibly action-packed film. From Michael’s many kills, to the mob determined to stop him, led by none other than Tommy Doyle himself, it’s pretty much nonstop, and you never know what’s going to happen next. When will the hunter become the hunted, on either side of the equation? This movie really did keep me on the edge of my seat, probably more than any of the other films of the franchise have, solely because I wasn’t expecting such intensity. I think there comes a time when most slasher franchises, even if we love them, become some form of predictable camp, and while there’s definitely some camp to be seen here, Halloween Kills truly did things I wasn’t expecting. Aside from giving us a more brutal Michael Myers, it also gave us some very emotional moments, those involving Laurie’s family and friends, and the truly depressing side arc of Tovoli, the other escaped mental patient who is mistaken for Michael. As someone who struggles with mental health, that bit was truly hard for me to watch. 

The ending bits of this film, though, truly gave me goosebumps. Just when you think Michael is down for the count, and all of the people that he has affected over forty years are finally free, Laurie gives a chilling monologue from her hospital room about what Michael truly is, and how powerful fear ultimately is (which is a recurring theme here for sure). As she gives her ominous explanation, her warning, almost, Michael springs to life once again and manages to wipe out everyone who’s been working so hard to end his stranglehold on the town of Haddonfield. It’s truly a moment, and I wanted to weep for Tommy Doyle, who tried so hard that he nearly drove himself insane. Love or hate these characters (I know this Tommy was disliked by many.), it’s still painful to see them meet their end after surviving so much. 

The final blow of the movie, when Michael takes down Laurie’s daughter Karen, was also greatly unexpected, and leads me to wonder if granddaughter Allyson is being set up to take over as final girl, just in case this franchise somehow continues many years into the future, after Halloween Ends. My personal theory is that Michael will die in the next movie, but I think if he’s going down, he’s going to take Laurie with him.

All in all, I truly don’t understand the hate for this movie. I’ve seen far worse from horror reboots, reimaginings, whatever you wish to call them, and this one definitely does justice to the original source material, including almost all of the original characters and giving us a solid, fun-to-watch new story on top of it, that kind of picks up right where the original left off. People will always criticize, but I personally don’t see, regardless of how you feel about the story, how anyone could possibly call this movie boring.

I mean, they even did an homage to the controversial Halloween III: Season Of The Witch!


Visually speaking, this was one of my favorite moments in the entire film. I just love, love, love those masks!

I guess the short version of what I’m trying to say here is simply, I loved the movie and don’t understand the hate. The wonky timeline is kind of an annoyance if you choose to let it be, but it’s still not worth condemning some solid new entries into the franchise. Personally, I see Halloween Kills becoming one of my main go-tos when I really need that Halloween feeling. It has everything I look for in these types of movies.

Stay spooky, my friends. And don’t let the Boogeyman bite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while