Skip to main content

Sweet Giuseppe//October 19th, 2021

 On October third, I stumbled across a very small pumpkin at work. 

He was the type of pumpkin my mother would have encouraged me to choose when I was little, or so it seemed at first. My mother always thought anything that would eventually rot away was a waste of money, so my eagerness to purchase pumpkins was not her favorite aspect of my personality. She would point me toward the smaller, and thus less expensive ones. I distinctly remember finding one so tiny at a local farm one year, that the woman running the cash register went and got her manager and asked, “This is considered a pumpkin, right? Not a gourd?” (The really teeny pumpkins, most commonly called Jack Be Little nowadays, were generally referred to as gourds back then, at least around here, perhaps because they were in the same price range as the decorative gourds.) I can still hear her voice, perfectly, in my mind. 

When I saw this little pumpkin at work, I was immediately transported back to that day, and the memory of a pumpkin so small, that the farm worker, who I probably envied for being a pumpkin expert at the time, didn’t know how to categorize it. And, with the same energy of the cast of Sex & The City when they saw a designer shoe, I decided I had to have it.

I walked closer to the little pumpkin and picked him up. He looked perfect...until I noticed a slightly squishy blemish near his bottom. I put him down, but with my hand still on him. This was always a dilemma of mine in childhood. My mother was so concerned with how much money was being spent on pumpkins that she discouraged ever choosing one with even the slightest hint that it could start rotting sooner rather than later. Sometimes even the healthiest looking pumpkins can rot before their time, but you don’t go looking for one that’s already almost there, or so I was taught. 

What to do with this little pumpkin? He was so perfect, so charming, yet seemed almost condemned to an early rot, and definitely destined to miss Halloween. But these factors just made me want him more. If I left him, would he be thrown out that night if he didn’t sell? Surely almost every other customer would notice that mark and pass him by, but even if one didn’t, would he be looked after properly, or just left out in the elements, to rot away even faster? I looked at this sweet pumpkin and I just couldn’t let that happen. Even if he only lasted the shortest while, I could offer him the chance to live out his days where he’d be loved and appreciated, and among other pumpkin friends. 

And so I bought him.

With most of my work shift left to go, he became my companion for the day, sitting with me on my break, accompanying me at the desk, sitting in my locker, etc. and I became attached to him in a way that I’ve always tried not to do with real pumpkins, as we never know how much time they have, and this little one’s time already seemed to running out.


Throughout the day, for some odd reason, the name “Giuseppe” kept coming up in conversation. I have no real recollection of why, but it was such a distinct, unusual name to hear repeatedly in a day, at least for me, so I decided, Giuseppe must be this pumpkin’s name. It had been so long since I’d truly named a real pumpkin...even the one that’s now over a year old was never really given a proper name. I felt so bonded to this little pumpkin, in a way that I couldn’t explain.

Once Giuseppe was home, I kept him close as much as I could, as he was a comforting presence, and also, to monitor him. His rot was progressing quickly, and I knew he wouldn’t have long.


Within a few days, I noticed that Giuseppe was really starting to develop his rotten pumpkin eye


It was born out of the initial hole I found in him, just as I suspected. But the interesting thing about Giuseppe was, he seemed to have more than one eye!



Giuseppe was watching over me, observing, from so many different angles. It may sound silly, but it made me feel as if he knew somehow that he was in the right place, and wanted to take in everything that he could before it was too late. Maybe he wouldn’t make it to Halloween, but he would enjoy his time with us immensely. Celebrate, and be celebrated, as any pumpkin should this time of year.

Sadly, on October eleventh, I checked on Giuseppe, who was sitting among my larger real pumpkins of the year, to find he had rotted past the point of being able to stay inside any longer. Parts of him were almost liquid at that point. I sadly carried him outside and placed him among the leaves and grass, and thanked him for being a special part of my 2021 Halloween season, no matter how short-lived it was. I will truly never forget him.


I’m not sure what it is about this one particular little pumpkin, but I’m glad I got the opportunity to know him. And I know, from the eyes, that he’ll be watching over me, and maybe help me to find another like him next year. 

Stay spooky, my friends. And remember to hug your pumpkins. 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while