Skip to main content

The Eyes Of The Chosen Ones//October 207th, 2021

No one finds the perfect pumpkin by accident. 

Those who love Halloween, and can’t wait for that perfect autumn day in the pumpkin patch, will tell you that that moment, when you find the perfect pumpkin among hundreds of its brothers and sisters, feels like fate.

Those who truly know pumpkins, can tell you that it is.

We’ve all seen it, those moments when our pumpkins begin to rot. It almost always starts out as a small, soft circle. At first it almost looks like a simple bruise, the kind you’d get from bumping into something, when you’re too busy thinking about something else to really watch where you’re going. For a pumpkin, though, this is often a death sentence. Once these soft spots appear, it’s only a matter of time before the rot progresses. They must, at the very least, be taken outside before they get softer and begin to leak, don’t they?

But while these soft spots do often mark the beginning of the end of a pumpkin’s life cycle, hardly anyone thinks to look closer.

There are some rotting pumpkins that are chosen for something deeper; given one last important task before fading into the pumpkin afterlife.  Sometimes, these soft spots that we recognize as rot, are actually something else entirely.

If you look closely, you will see that some pumpkins, when they begin to rot, start to develop eyes.


Why would a rotting pumpkin need an eye, though? 

The answer is simple, yet complicated. They are watchers. 

In their final breaths of life, these chosen pumpkins are given one final task.

They observe the world around them, and the people with whom they’ve resided. What sort of final moments will they be given? Have they been rotting away, forgotten since Halloween ended? Were they given a reprieve until Thanksgiving passed? Or were they one of the lucky ones that got to hang around until they simply couldn’t anymore?

Pumpkins know when they are appreciated, and they are grateful beings. They observe, and they know, and when the Gatekeeper calls them back, to the realm of the Great Pumpkins of spirit, they report what they’ve seen.

And when you find that perfect pumpkin in the patch the following autumn, it’s because that pumpkin from the year before saw you. They were chosen, and now you have been too. Forever destined to find the greatest pumpkins, because you appreciated them like no one else.





Comments

  1. Eye Love this so much! Truthfully I stopped carving my pumpkins because I always felt guilty of doing that to them. Nowadays I just showcase them all original I always try to find little flaws on them which to me make them so unique and beautiful. I like how you call them watchers! 🥰🖤🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! I never liked carving pumpkins when I was younger. I either left them as is or drew or painted on them. I love how imperfect pumpkins can be; it’s exciting to me to see what kinds of pumpkins are out there! The flaws make them special.

      Delete
  2. OH...MY...GOODNESS. This is the best thing I have ever read!! I LOVE the idea of watchers and being choosen!! Most Perfect Blog Post EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed it! You were my main inspiration for this since you said the eye on the pumpkin would make a good story. It took me ages to write it and get the wording right, but I’m so glad that people seem to enjoy it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while