Skip to main content

The Perpetual Cycle Of Halloween//October 269th, 2024

 Someone on Instagram recently asked me, at what point do I stop mourning the previous Halloween, and start celebrating the upcoming one.

This was an interesting question to me, as it's honestly not something I think I've ever thought about before. Halloween is so perpetual to me, that the separation between this Halloween and last Halloween is not something I feel I've ever considered, save for the excitement of being able to say "this Halloween", once the Gregorian New Year hits. 

So it's something I've been contemplating lately. What am I thinking about, when I go for walks around the neighborhood? Am I envisioning where the decorations were, last year, or where they will be, again? 

I honestly think it's always a bit of both.

When I was younger, there was a house I trick-or-treated at that had a globe-shaped light that was designed to look like a witch flying across a full moon. It was obviously homemade, and it was a big deal in my Halloween-loving mind at the time. People didn't go quite as "all out" with decorations as they do nowadays, at least not in the same way, and to see something like that, something so different from everything else, made it a standout in my young, spooky mind. 

I don't remember what year it was when the witch finally disappeared. I don't know if it became unusable  or if the homeowners moved, or simply stopped caring, but I remember, for every year that it existed on my trick-or-treat route, it made me think of many things. That witch was like a faraway friend I got to visit once a year, and when I looked at her, I saw visions of both the past and the future. She'd been there as long as I could remember, and thus brought me back to where it all began; my love for Halloween from the time I was four years old on. And at the same time, I knew, or at least hoped, that I'd be seeing her again the following year. I looked forward to it, and wondered how I would change in that coming year, and what I would be by the following October 31st. These thoughts surrounded me, like a circle...Halloween always ahead of and behind me, all at once. Perpetual, unbroken. 

That's why it's such a strange thing to think about. When does one end, and another begin?

My past Halloweens never truly go away. They are pieces of me, foundations of my being, and I remember them, mourn them, even, even when I'm actively celebrating the next. And the Halloweens I have yet to experience are always on my mind. What I look forward to most, always on the horizon. I look ahead and see Halloween, just as I look backward and see it, too.

It's just who I am. 

I suppose, though, if I absolutely had to pick a timeframe when the scales tip to more hopeful from mournful, it is, perhaps, right around now. Though summer is hard on me, perhaps the hardest part of my year, it is the time that starts to bring Halloween with it. What I have mourned for so long, starts to come back around, like a flower growing from decomposition. It is a memory, but also anticipation, now..More than usual, as the decorations start trickling back into the stores, and more and more people seem to be thinking about it, again. 

This time of year is the glorious rebirth of Halloween. The reminder that the future is closer than the past. Perhaps it is more about the coming celebration now, than it is about mourning for the past. 

I wish it was autumn, we whisper. And now, it almost, almost is. What was, will be again. 

And then it, too, will become a memory. A beloved friend we mourn, until a new phoenix is born out of its ashes. 

Maybe the beauty of Halloween-time is what a perpetual cycle it is, for those that understand. It's like autumn itself, a death that feels alive. An echo in the wind, pulling as back, moving us forward. 

Always ahead of us, always behind us.

Always holding us safe in its magical grasp.

Stay spooky, my friends.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while

Pumpkin Guts: Devil’s Night//October 277th, 2024

 I was recently given the opportunity to check out a new, independent Halloween short film called Pumpkin Guts: Devil’s Night.  (Picture from IMDb) I first became aware of this film through the  Instagram page , and to say I absolutely knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I’d love it, would be an understatement. I can always tell when a piece of media is truly going to radiate Halloween, in the way that will transport me through whatever month we’re currently in (in this case, probably the most disgusting July on record) and into Halloween night itself. When I was offered early access to this short film, I could not have been more honored. Even though I’ve built up somewhat of a following within the Halloween community, it still amazes me every day that people finally truly see and feel what I’m trying to create; that my love of Halloween finally means something and brings some joy and comfort to others like myself, and that anyone, especially a filmmaker, would trust me to understand