Skip to main content

All Roads Lead To Halloween//October 155th, 2024

 I can't remember the last time I went for a walk before today.

It may actually have been Christmas Day, as I was sick for most of January and the earlier part of February. That strange period of time when last Halloween is so close, yet so far

Today I set out, on my usual route, half happy to have the time, energy, and daylight to finally go off in search of inspiration once again, and half annoyed at the sunlight in my eyes and the knowledge of the imminent boss battle ahead of me, as it's already starting to feel like summer and it's not even officially spring. It felt strange, in a way, to be walking that way again, after so long. On my last walk, I felt the strange melancholy of a post-holiday world, combined with the Christmas facade falling away. I was standing on the borderline of autumn and winter, while today I almost felt as if I were walking the plank between winter's pirate ship and spring and summer's endless ocean. 

Memories of autumn flooded me, as I saw in my mind's eye the colors of the trees, the decorations on lawns and in windows, the world transformed into something I recognized. But in reality, I realized I was walking in a world that will soon be full of blinding sunlight, green leaves, hues of pink and purple and yellow as the flowers bloom again. The people who live in the house that's decorated for Halloween on September 1st, were outside today debating on what should be planted in their garden. The house that was decorated like a witch's seminary a few months ago, now has only a car with a Hocus Pocus decal in the window as a reminder of what was. 

Can these people possibly be happy now? I ask myself. I know I wouldn't be, if I could only express my love for Halloween through a window decal, or a storage shed crammed full of other holidays as well. But perhaps I'm different. Perhaps I am even strange. If this is the truth, so be it.

I searched for Halloween today, knowing I wouldn't really find it. If the rotted pumpkins are out there, they're beyond recognition now. And yet I soldier on. The memories keep it alive, and keep me going. The promise that the world will transform once again, keeps me living in it.

But I'd be lying if I said it doesn't feel far away, now.

People are already complaining that it doesn't feel like spring yet, when it's still technically winter. If an autumn person said that on, say, August 28th, we'd be crucified, told to stop rushing the seasons. Spring will get here. Summer will get here. And somehow, right now, it feels as though they will be endless, and autumn may never arrive. 

It will, of course, but the road seems long.

But all roads, at least for me, lead to Halloween in the end.

Stay spooky, my friends.

(doll by FallenGazeStudio on Etsy)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not So Sure About This Social Media Thing//October 94th, 2026

 I started this blog six years ago on New Year's Day. I had been through some major life changes in 2018/2019, and really found myself along the way. I felt as though I really had cemented a place for myself within the Halloween community on social media, and often, when I would caption my posts on Instagram with snippets of memories, or a specific feeling that maybe not many others could understand, I would get comments and messages from new friends and followers, complimenting the way I wrote, sometimes even asking for more, and so, the idea to start a blog again was born, and, silly as it may sound, I am very proud that I've managed to stick with it as long as I have. Long work hours, personal problems, bouts of anxiety and depression....none of that has ever fully stopped me from coming back and doing what I love.  But, lately, I have been feeling a little off about social media in general, and that's something I really would like to talk about, as I feel it taking a to...

Tales From A Walk: April 5th, 2026; AKA Easterween/Creepster/Zombie Jesus Day, Etc.

 Someone asked me once When do you stop mourning the previous Halloween and start looking forward to the next one? That's always been a hard question for me to answer, as I am always looking back or looking ahead, depending on the situation.  I often see what was, and what will be again, simultaneously.  But today, I went for a walk. Probably my first full walk since Christmas time. That last walk, the remnants were still there. Though it was a different holiday entirely, I still met some rotting pumpkins, and some dead leaves clinging to their brittle branches. Then two back to back winter storms came in February, burying us in two feet of snow both times. I don't know that I've ever felt more like I was in alternate reality, or farther away from Halloween. Today was different, though.  When Easter comes, you hear all this talk of spring, and new beginnings, and that sort of thing.  And I guess it never really hit me how that can apply to Halloween as well. Wal...

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’...