Skip to main content

American Horror Stories Season 3, Episode 1: Bestie//October 117th, 2024

 I know, it's been ages since I've reviewed anything relating to American Horror Story. Hopefully someone out there missed it?

I can't promise how frequent these reviews will be, as it's probably pretty evident that finding the time to watch the episodes and really contemplate them has been challenging for me over the past couple of years. While I don't think it would possible for me to ever truly stop loving AHS, its recent offerings, save for NYC, have left me feeling pretty "meh" about it. I've seen one episode of Delicate, and while it certainly wasn't bad, the subject matter doesn't really interest me at all and much like the vast majority of the fandom, the casting choices didn't exactly thrill me. I'll get back to it eventually, but I may wait until the entire season is out and just share my thoughts after the fact.

American Horror Stories also has a habit of leaving me with a "meh" taste in my mouth. Save for a few standout episodes, it's decent but always has that air about it of a spinoff show that only exists to try and squeeze some extra cash out of the popularity of the original. I've never actually come back to an episode of Stories. In fact, I'd almost forgotten the third season ever actually premiered.

Until today.

This morning, I just happened to see a reel on Instagram of a clip of the Stories season three premiere, titled Bestie. It immediately grabbed my attention, and since I happened to have some time today, I figured, why not watch it?

And I'm very glad I did, because I feel that Bestie is by far the best entry in the Stories franchise. 


Bestie introduces us to a high school senior named Shelby, who's recently lost her mom. She and her father move to a new town, and Shelby is bullied at her new school, primarily by a snotty group in her music class. She finds solace in an online drag queen called Anna Rhexia, who encourages their viewers to face their fears, and one night after a livestream, Shelby finds herself one of two viewers left online after everyone signs off. The other viewer, whose screen name is BFF4EVA, reaches out to her and almost instantly seems stalker-like. However, this does not dissuade the lonely Shelby from video chatting with her. 


BFF4EVA turns out to be a severely disfigured young woman (we later find out she apparently was born to a mother who did lots of drugs while pregnant) who wishes to be known simply as "Bestie". Bestie and Shelby begin talking every day, and as their bond strengthens, so does Shelby's confidence and overall attitude. At first, Bestie seems harmless, albeit a little strange. She encourages Shelby to do things such as wear makeup and come back at the main girl who torments her at school. But soon, Bestie's encouragement grows darker. It starts with her talking Shelby into a breaking a mug that belonged to her deceased mother, then spirals into vandalism, and poisoning the bullies during a school play that they're all acting in. Shelby has become Bestie's "avatar" in the real world, since, due to her health issues, she claims to be confined to her bed most of the time, and it seems difficult to find where Bestie ends and Shelby begins. 

The final straw, at least for Shelby's father, comes when Bestie convinces Shelby to dress up as her music teacher's baby, who was born deceased with her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck, for Halloween. Shelby goes all out, with a blue face and a cord of her own that she pulls on for emphasis, and the teacher is so traumatized that he leaves the school for the semester.

Not knowing what to do, Shelby's father locks her in the basement of their home, but Shelby manages to find her mom's old home office equipment, and sets up a computer that allows her to contact Bestie once more. Bestie convinces Shelby that the only way to get her father to let her out is to break a bone, reminding her of their rule to always "face their fears". Though reluctant, Shelby eventually obliges, but this seems to be the wake-up call she needs, as soon after, she begins ghosting Bestie (who still reaches out with seemingly empty threats) and soon begins a real, in-person friendship, and eventual romantic relationship, with a classmate named River, who was also bullied by the same group in music class and is also a fan of Anna Rhexia. 

Things go well for Shelby from here. She apologizes to her father and her former teacher, she's on a great track to college, but Bestie still is able to contact her through the computer. River eventually hacks in and finds a way to end it, and then takes Shelby on a "date" to a strange, spooky neighborhood. At first, it seems like an interesting spot for urban exploration, but soon, once they are inside one of the houses, Shelby realizes that the house is actually where Bestie lives.

When Bestie finally approaches, Shelby tries to run, but is stabbed by River, who then turns to Bestie and informs her that he's done everything she's ever asked of him. Turns out, the two have been carrying on a romantic relationship of their own for the entire year, and killing Shelby was a part of Bestie encouraging River to face his fears, and they then walk out into the creepy sunset together.

This episode spoke to me on so many levels. First of all, it was one of the best-acted I've seen from Stories. It truly felt like watching an actual horror movie, which is not something I usually get from this series. The stories are interesting but never this engaging. It was truly interesting to try and figure out what was going to happen next, what Bestie was going to do, how far Shelby was willing to go, and how things were going to connect. River's first mention of Anna Rhexia did sort of give away his connection to Bestie, but it still wasn't super predictable. 

Also, my inner teen is a sucker for stories like this, about bullied teens and over the top drama, because I was, myself, a bullied teen, but also a loner who never experienced drama like this firsthand. It's almost like living vicariously through someone else's high school experiences. 

But I think the greatest message here is about the dangers of toxic friendships. Maybe this hit a little too close to home for me at the moment, as I've been having my own dealings with this sort of thing recently, but watching Shelby spiral and become an extension of Bestie and who she wanted her to be, felt all too real. No, I've never had a friend try to convince me to purposely break a bone, but I definitely have had experiences where I've started to lose myself for becoming someone else's "avatar", without even realizing it. It's easy for a lonely person to think they've met a "bestie" through an online community of similar interests, but sometimes, as fast as you can say, "Hello, friend", the script flips, and the next thing you know, you're a person you no longer recognize, saying or doing vile things to keep the peace or keep riding the high of friendship that's, sadly, always been one-sided. Then one day you metaphorically "break your arm" for said person and realize how gone you actually are. It's relatable, and I'm sure it's something that many people have dealt with, either online or in person or both.

But anyway...I could have done without the twist ending with River, but Bestie is still my absolute favorite of the American Horror Stories franchise, and finally one I could see myself rewatching. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I'm definitely curious to see if the rest of the season follows suit. I definitely hope to watch the other episodes soon, and who knows, maybe you'll see more reviews here in the coming days!

Stay spooky, my friends.


Also, Anna Rhexia is a spooky icon .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while