Skip to main content

300//October 97th, 2024

 I think something people don't really talk about is, how hopeless the countdown to Halloween can seem in its earliest stages.

It's interesting, because we feel as though we want to move forward, yet we still hang onto the remains of the previous Halloween. We're closer to the last one than the next one. It feels more about the memory, than it does the promise of a new day. As if we've awoken from the sweetest dream and are unsure if we will ever be able to see or feel those things again. It's hazy.

As time goes on, as November turns into December turns into January, the remnants of the previous Halloween fade away. Pumpkins rot, the last of the forgotten decorations are torn down and stored away. Christmas violently takes over the world, temperatures drop, snow begins to fall, covering the last of the dead leaves, blurring out even the potential for delusions of a permanent October. It feels like hope is gone, like we will always be stuck here, almost a year away. 

But one day, this day, a page turns. 300 days til Halloween. It sounds like a lot, and yet it suddenly doesn't.

Two straight months of "three hundred and something" has made us bitter. But today, we hit a milestone. Tomorrow morning? The 3 will be erased from the countdown. Progress is being made. We can see it now. There's evidence. 

The road back to Halloween, once October 31st has passed, is never a short or easy one...but now, at the 300 day mark, it feels like we're really on the way. 

Last Halloween is still visible in the rear view, but this Halloween is on the horizon, calling us. 

Stay spooky, my friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not So Sure About This Social Media Thing//October 94th, 2026

 I started this blog six years ago on New Year's Day. I had been through some major life changes in 2018/2019, and really found myself along the way. I felt as though I really had cemented a place for myself within the Halloween community on social media, and often, when I would caption my posts on Instagram with snippets of memories, or a specific feeling that maybe not many others could understand, I would get comments and messages from new friends and followers, complimenting the way I wrote, sometimes even asking for more, and so, the idea to start a blog again was born, and, silly as it may sound, I am very proud that I've managed to stick with it as long as I have. Long work hours, personal problems, bouts of anxiety and depression....none of that has ever fully stopped me from coming back and doing what I love.  But, lately, I have been feeling a little off about social media in general, and that's something I really would like to talk about, as I feel it taking a to...

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’...

Tales From A Walk: April 5th, 2026; AKA Easterween/Creepster/Zombie Jesus Day, Etc.

 Someone asked me once When do you stop mourning the previous Halloween and start looking forward to the next one? That's always been a hard question for me to answer, as I am always looking back or looking ahead, depending on the situation.  I often see what was, and what will be again, simultaneously.  But today, I went for a walk. Probably my first full walk since Christmas time. That last walk, the remnants were still there. Though it was a different holiday entirely, I still met some rotting pumpkins, and some dead leaves clinging to their brittle branches. Then two back to back winter storms came in February, burying us in two feet of snow both times. I don't know that I've ever felt more like I was in alternate reality, or farther away from Halloween. Today was different, though.  When Easter comes, you hear all this talk of spring, and new beginnings, and that sort of thing.  And I guess it never really hit me how that can apply to Halloween as well. Wal...