Skip to main content

Halfoween Memories//October 212th, 2023



I believe I was fourteen years old the first time I tried to calculate the halfway point to Halloween.

Fourteen was the year I started to jtruly accept my eternal longing for Halloween as a part of me; a bigger part than I ever allowed myself to acknowledge in such a way before.

I can't remember exactly how I did it. I just remember this little purse-sized calendar I'd gotten from a local Hallmark store, full of spooky doodles and quotes and sayings despite the fact that it had a pastel flower on the front and a list of traditional wedding anniversary gifts on the final pages. (I pondered these often. Paper? Clocks? Did anyone abide by this?) That calendar was like me. Outwardly very girly, very much what you'd expect from a basic female of my age, but the inside was full of everything I was afraid to express. 

On the first page, like a warning, I'd written I like black cats and bats. Somewhere in the middle, a pair of eyes drawn over the calendar boxes of whichever month it was, with the words I SCARE YOU written darkly, deliberately, in classic artistic-little-girl calligraphy, between them. On the month of October was a poem I tried to write after stumbling into a clearance Halloween section in a local store that was closing, desperately trying to describe what Halloween felt like, what it meant to me. And on November's pages, very simply written, was something along the lines of If I could erase you, I would...

Every page was full of words and drawings, usually of pumpkins of the aforementioned black cats and bats, etc., but the one thing every box on that little calendar had in common, were the tiny dots from me constantly counting down the days until Halloween. 

It must have been a particularly agonizing winter's day when I decided, if Halloween were still so far away, why not try to calculate a halfway point, so it didn't seem so hopeless? 

Again, I'm not sure how I did it, just counted off six months from and six months until Halloween I suppose, literally the one time I ever decided to do math voluntarily, and came to the conclusion that the halfway point to Halloween would fall on April 31st...if such a day existed. I wasn't sure which day, at that point, to crown the official halfway point to Halloween, so I wrote on both months, April and May, with a little asterisk for effect, *halfway point between April 30th and May 1st. I never bothered to say the halfway point to what. I knew. And, not that anyone else really looked in that little calendar booklet, but I'm sure if someone did, they would know too. 

That was about twenty-one years ago. And from that day on, I always made at least some sort of effort to celebrate the halfway point to Halloween. I don't remember exactly how I did it when I was younger...I suppose I just watched Hocus Pocus and delighted in telling everyone around me what day it was, and how close we were getting to October 31st. When I got older, whatever year it was that iCarly was popular and did an episode called iHalfoween, I researched the term "Halfoween" and found that most people deemed it to fall on May 1st. At the time it was generally used by bars and pubs and those sorts of places, and excuse to get people in to party. That, obviously, is not my scene, but I found ways to celebrate on my own. Movie marathons, fashioning everyday clothes into sort of "half-costumes", carving craft pumpkins, visiting cemeteries, taking and sharing pictures. It was always the biggest day on the countdown to Halloween.

As the years have gone on, Halfoween has finally caught on, and become a time for celebration among the entire Halloween community. Spooky artists are having sales. Haunts are opening for a few nights. Even big box stores like Home Depot are offering deals on Halloween decor!  

When I think back to my fourteen-year-old self, sitting on the yellowish carpet of her childhood bedroom, dreaming of a spookier world and doodling the things she didn't dare share with anyone else for fear of judgement inside the very thing that made her feel so restrained, all I can think now is, we did it. We created our own world, outside of the confines of a calendar, tossing aside the belief that anything should be "seasonal" if it makes us happy. And now there is a whole community, counting down to Halloween with us, every day of the year.

Stay spooky, my friends.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while