Skip to main content

Spirit Of The Season//October 73rd, 2022

 I often hear songs at work about wishing every day could be Christmas.

This is, obviously, something I myself do not wish. 

Upon hearing one of these songs a few days ago, I couldn't stop myself from saying out loud, "Why would anyone want to perpetually live in the most stressful, expensive, insane time of the year?" To which my coworker responded that they were most likely talking about the "spirit" of Christmas, caring and giving and all that.

Yes, most likely, this is what these songs are referring to. But, perhaps it's due to my retail worker status, or maybe I'm just a cynical person, but to be honest? I don't truly see that spirit in much of anyone. 

And I started thinking, after that conversation, about when I actually do see acceptance and a sense of community come into play in the world.

And that time, at least in my eyes, is Halloween.

As far as I'm concerned, Christmas is a lot of talk and not a lot of action...or rather, the action feels forced. 

Would anyone actually go out and spend the amount of money that they do on gifts, all at once, if the calendar didn't tell them to? To me, it feels much more meaningful to randomly see something in a store, think of a person, and buy it for them just because. Wouldn't it also be more meaningful to have a big family dinner, because people want to get together, not because there's a specific date on the calendar that tells us when this should be done? 

Instead of feeling the joy that is so often talked about this time of year, people are spending themselves dry, running themselves ragged, trying to outdo themselves and others for some strange idealistic "best Christmas ever", that has nothing at all to do with the values and feelings these songs and movies and whatever else are expressing. 

Again, this could be my almost-sixteen-year stint as a retail worker talking, but I've run across more people that don't even seem to like upholding holiday traditions, than people who are super excited about it. The people that shop in my store seem exasperated, like they're doing it out of obligation and can't wait to just get it over with. They complain about money. They complain about cooking. They complain about cleaning up after the people they're hosting...At certain points, I almost feel like getting on the intercom and asking why they're bothering, then.

Once again I say, it may just be my personal experience, and I may just be cynical and closed-off to certain things at this point in my life, but in my mind, based on my personal experiences, holiday "cheer" is very much a manufactured thing. It's like a fake smile from a burnt-out retail worker during this very time of year.

I couldn't help but notice, though, this year, how different the world is at Halloween, and how much happier people seem to be, even doing things that maybe the once-a-yearer would consider obligatory on some level. When I was at the street fair in Sleepy Hollow, in early October, the feeling of joy all around was impossible to ignore. Whether it was at the street fair itself, around the town, or in the cemetery, people were happy. It was as if every barrier, every wall that people put up in the "off-season", was broken, and everyone around felt like it was okay to be their most authentic self, and embrace everyone else's joy at being their own most authentic selves as well. 

I'm always self-conscious about taking pictures of my things when I go out, but on that day, I wasn't. I was just one of many, enjoying the day, enjoying the spooky atmosphere, and I felt accepted. 

And now I can't help but think that very feeling, is what the Christmas songs are describing...they just have the season wrong.

The thing about Halloween, that I notice more and more as the years go on, is that it gives people who maybe wouldn't normally feel it, a sense of freedom, and some sort of permission to be the versions of themselves that they maybe hide from the world when it isn't "time". Suddenly everything is more acceptable, and for that all-too-fast portion of the year, what would normally be considered "strange", or whatever cliche adjective you choose to use, is welcomed with open arms. Quite frankly, that kind of love and acceptance is what the world needs, and it happens so organically during "spooky season", that I don't think many people even notice that it is. Welcoming that which is strange and unusual, accepting and becoming one with the parts of ourselves that we might normally choose to hide, suddenly becomes as natural as the changing leaves in October. And sadly, it is just as fleeting. Such is the sad way of a calendar-driven society. But, for the time that it is here, it is truly a beautiful thing, just to see everyone happy with themselves, without judgment of those around them, and having fun with no sense of obligation. 

Maybe for some, the Christmas spirit still exists in adulthood. But I have yet to experience a Christmas season that seems as magical, as full of love and acceptance and freedom, as Halloween.

Stay spooky, my friends.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while