Skip to main content

Post Thanksgiving Depression?//October 56th, 2022

 For as long as I can remember, I’ve referred to Thanksgiving as my least favorite holiday. (Though honestly, in adulthood, I think that’s actually New Year’s; When you’re not a partier and consider the calendar your mortal enemy, what’s the point?) As a child I found it boring, especially in comparison to both Halloween and Christmas, the holidays it was jammed in between, and as an adult I find it exhausting and pointless. I don’t really even like the food all that much. 

But, I can’t help but acknowledge the fact that I also cling to it a little, as autumn’s final breath.

Christmas didn’t take over as quickly when I was younger as it does now. Halloween ended, and autumn slowly, more gradually, faded away into a more dismal version of itself, with grayer skies, browner leaves, and less magic. Ghosts, black cats, witches, spiders, and skeletons disappeared from lawn displays, while pumpkins and scarecrows remained. On some level they seemed almost tired…I think I thought of them as being as bored as I was with Thanksgiving as a child, as displaced. We’re being told it’s still fall, we’re being told there’s still more to celebrate, that we’re still needed…but it feels like the magic is fading, barely visible. 

Thanksgiving, I think, has always both fueled my post-Halloween depression and also provided hope for it. As I clung to the decorations I was allowed to leave up, desperately trying to cheer myself by adding happy, autumnal turkeys, but still missing what my pumpkins and scarecrows once were; what they once represented.

Nowadays, Christmas comes in like a wrecking ball. On November 1st morning, even earlier in some cases, it explodes onto the scene and basically obliterates Halloween and all memory of it, along with the remaining almost-two-months of autumn. It's a total flip of the switch, from one extreme to another. But Thanksgiving, back when it was given its time, was a slow descent. Thanksgiving promised us that autumn would still hang around for a little while longer. It was the promise that pumpkins would still be on doorsteps, and friendly scarecrows would be waving as we passed. While Halloween's end still felt abrupt, Thanksgiving, on some level, made it feel a little less final, and I don't think I ever appreciated that enough. 

Also, a fun fact you may not know...Thanksgiving was actually sort of the first version of Halloween in the US!

My grandfather told me many years ago, when I was probably seven or eight, that he used to go trick-or-treating, or as it was called back then, "begging", on Thanksgiving Day! (Side note: He referred to "trick-or-treating" as "begging" until he passed away.) He claimed he would dress up and go door to door asking "Got anything for Thanksgiving?"  I honestly thought he was joking at first, and believed for several years that he'd just said that to make me laugh, until I finally looked it up. 

Thanksgiving begging was most definitely a thing! It seems like it was primarily a New York thing, which makes sense as my grandfather grew up there after immigrating from Scotland, but this tradition, also called "Ragamuffin Day", seems to be almost a precursor to Halloween and trick-or-treating that died off before the 1940s.  Perhaps I should be a little more thankful for Thanksgiving, after all! I did wish, after my grandfather initially told me this as a child, that it were a still a thing; a way to have two Halloweens in the span of a short time, a final flicker before the flame, as it was sung about in my childhood song, goes out. 

Thanksgiving will probably never be a day that I actively look forward to, but I think I will always feel sad when it ends. It sucks the final breaths out of autumn as it goes, and takes with it the last remaining ghosts of Halloween. The finality of things once Thanksgiving has passed, the last holiday that feels autumnal in any way, is strangely intense. 

I went outside to take a picture last night, and I could feel it. The final goodbye of autumn, surrendering to the fact that no one seems to care about it anymore once Halloween has passed. As the sky darkened, I could smell autumn in the air once more, feel a warmth around me of its existence being acknowledged one final time, but I could also feel the defeat of my favorite season, turning and walking away with a final, dying breath.

But remember, dear boils and ghouls, as the summer people love to reiterate with us when September hits, autumn isn't actually over yet, for just about another month. And Halloween never has to be over, if you truly believe in it. 

I live in a world of perpetual October, never truly letting it walk away. But the rest of the world sees things in black and white and calendar pages, and sometimes it's hard not to mourn that loss, as the pages turn, as the pumpkins rot, as all signs of autumn begin to fade.

Stay spooky, my friends. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Early Autumn's Vengeance//October 344th, 2023

  It's September 9th and I've spent the day depressed. Yesterday was my birthday. I briefly think about the fact that when I was younger, on the internet, I always said my birthday was the 9th rather than the 8th, because back then, giving out personal information online was a terrifying idea.  It's funny how things change. My birthday this year, well, it was a disaster. And that had everything to do with how hot and sunny it was.  I've never considered myself a summer baby. September is fall, whether it's the 1st or the 30th. The last stepping stone on the way to October; one of two months that truly feels similar to it. September the Hopeful, and November the Mournful.  But I guess this year, Mother Nature just had to tell me I was wrong. I won't forgive the demon summer for striking me down on what was supposed to be my special day. Seasonal depression can only be endured for so long. Tonight, though, I step outside, and the wind picks up. It sounds like a ho