Skip to main content

Dearly Departed//October 51st, 2022

 It is no secret that I loathe the summer time.

With every sunrise I pray for its death, unable to find a redeeming quality in the scorching heat and blinding sun. People flock to the beaches to soak it in, and all I wonder to myself is “Why?”

It’s something I really can’t make myself see the other side of. 

And yet, when I go for a walk on the morning of the calendar date of November 19th, I find myself coming upon the gate of a local beach.

I have lived near this lake community for over four years now. I know that this beach is here, I spend countless summer afternoons wondering why people want to cram like sardines into it, and yet, somehow, on this morning, just shy of three weeks since my beloved Halloween, it occurs to me that I’ve never truly looked at it.

Before I seem to know what my feet are doing, just moments ago trying to lead me to the house where a pair of flying ghosts had roamed back in October, they are now carrying me to the edge of the beach’s gate. I peer in, at the empty sand, the empty lifeguard stands...and, although I’m happy that it isn’t summer, that the place isn’t packed with people who love a season I can no longer comprehend, relieved, even, that it's not here and won't be again for awhile, I can’t help but feel a sense of desolation. The scene looks so lonely, so sad.

Like a funeral, with no one in attendance but me.

Why do I want to cry when I feel no connection to the deceased? 

But as I look closer, I can see reflections of those that visit this beach in July and August. I can hear the echoes of their happy cries as they relish in this season that they’ve waited the whole year to meet again. I feel an ache as the water meets the sand, feeling that pain and emptiness of a season gone by. I know it all too well myself, don’t I? 

Though I don’t care much for seasons beyond Halloween and fall, there is a heaviness I feel when I think about a season or holiday, any season or holiday, even one I loathe as much as summer, coming to an end. There is someone out there who loves it. Someone out there who waits for it, as I wait for Halloween. And there is a world that dissolves when it ends. The remnants of that world sit there, quietly waiting to be noticed, by someone who might, albeit briefly, be able to wake up their barren fields with ghosts of the past, and hopes for the future; remind them that they exist. The calendar end of something never takes everything with it, though it certainly tries.

I think about those summer ghosts now, as I turn away from the beach, and I shed a tear for anyone who loves something seasonal. As I turn back toward that house I’d been looking for, where the flying ghosts beckoned just three short weeks ago, I think I feel their absence even more. The sad, empty space where magic dwelled not long ago. Everything is so quiet now. So empty. So colorless. So dead.

Like a beach at the edge of wintertime. 

(Actual photo of the beach I took yesterday, while contemplating all of this on a morning walk.)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while