Skip to main content

Now I Understand Why People Don’t Like ‘Candy Corn’//October 99th, 2022

 I am always looking for new Halloween-themed movies to watch. Anything that sets the perfect mood in the off-season, or at the very least, is a fun watch in the spirit of the season, will almost instantly become a go-to. 

But, sadly, many of the Halloween-themed horror films that can be found on streaming services suffer from…issues. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what it is that makes these movies so subpar, but in many cases,  I think a huge part of the problem is that they try so hard to live up to the standards set by the more popular films, that they ultimately end up shooting themselves in the foot. 

One such movie came to me today in the form of Candy Corn, a movie that got a lot of buzz in the Halloween community when it was first released in 2019, but hasn’t been free to watch until now. 


With its beautifully designed signature pumpkin pail, and the fact that it’s set both on Halloween and at a creepy carnival, Candy Corn almost seemed, at first glance, like it was tailor-made for my specific tastes. I’ve been dying to see it for these past three-plus years, and when I saw that it was finally available to watch for free, I freaked out like I’d just found a winning lottery ticket, and couldn’t hit the “watch now” button fast enough.

I wish I could say I found my newest go-to movie, just as I figured I would, but sadly, that did not turn out to be the case.

Don’t get me wrong, Candy Corn is built on a very solid concept. Every year at Halloween, a local boy named Jacob Atkins is tormented by a group of bullies, Mike, Steve, and Bobby. This year, though, (And I’m not sure what year it’s supposed to be because the movie comes off like a period piece though it’s never said that is.) Jacob is working at a carnival, under the wing of a man named Lester who calls himself “Dr. Death” and presents as a voodoo priest, and when the bullies confront him there, Jacob fights back, for the first time ever. The bullies don’t like this and go a little too hard, ultimately leading to Jacob’s death, but it turns out Dr. Death is no fraud, and has a real knack for helping the “freaks” of the world get revenge on those who have wronged them. He resurrects Jacob, who takes on a very Michael Myers like persona after the fact, and picks off his bullies one by one, while the movie ultimately tries to prove who the real “freaks” and “monsters” are.

It sounds like a fantastic Halloween horror on paper, and like I said, the story is pretty solid. But sadly, the execution leaves a lot to be desired.
 
For one thing, when I first read a summary for this movie, I honestly believed it was going to be about children. The absolute obsession the three main boys, along with a randomly added diner clerk named Gus, who is very clearly trying to overact himself into a Jeff Daniel Phillips character, have with bullying Jacob is mind-bogglingly childish, yet these characters are very clearly adults. The ringleader, Mike, looks like he’s pushing thirty, at least, though I’m guessing the characters are meant to be early to mid twenties? It’s hard to tell, but regardless, it’s disturbing that these grown men, literally in Gus’s case, have such an overpowering need to bully a possibly mentally ill young man. (It’s mentioned at times that Jacob may have “something wrong with him” but it’s never confirmed.)

The kills aren’t particularly exciting, either. It could be because the characters are so awful that I wanted them to die, but it’s also a little slow paced and inconsistent. For example, one character gets her tongue ripped out and dies instantly, while another is still alive and kicking long after getting his arms ripped off. And there’s absolutely no real backstory for anyone. As sorry as I felt for Jacob, we don’t really know enough about him to fully root for him. Same with Lester/Doctor Death. He is a very interesting character who obviously cares very deeply about the people who work for him, but his motivations are never exactly clear. It’s sort of implied that he basically planned the whole thing out, but it’s never made clear. There’s also a slight implication that his entire entourage could possibly have been results of similar incidents, but those characters barely get a chance to speak. Toward the end of the movie it’s made clear that some of the items now in his show are the result of Jacob’s kills, but is that his whole motivation right there? His extreme distrust of the outside world is endearing but he also has such a selfish disposition that the two things almost cancel each other out, thus making the entire message of the movie unclear. I’m also very confused as to what time period this movie was actually taking place in. It’s never stated, at least to my knowledge, that this is a period piece of any kind, but landline phones are being used, and the style of the “kids” clearly isn’t very modern. 

I know that the creator of this movie, Josh Hasty, is a friend of Rob Zombie, but all I could think throughout my viewing of Candy Corn is that it felt like someone was trying to make a Rob Zombie-esque movie but was just repeatedly missing the mark. Many of the elements were there, just not with the proper execution, and it just didn’t seem like this director was fully willing to “go there”, so to speak. I would imagine this is the movie that other people imagine when they make fun of Rob Zombie movies even though they’ve never watched one, if that makes sense. Candy Corn both tries too hard, while also not going hard enough. 

Of course, it's not all bad. The opening credit sequence is beautifully shot and captures the Halloween atmosphere perfectly, and Pancho Moler’s Dr. Death is a lot of fun to watch, and someone you could definitely root for if his motivations were a little clearer. If you’ve ever had a bully, or several, the revenge aspect of it will appeal to you on some level, despite the fact it’s somewhat poorly executed. There are also some fun appearances from horror icons such as PJ Soles, Tony Todd, and Courtney Gains, which is probably the only reason this movie got any real hype around it in the first place. Most of the other actors save for Pancho Moler just come off like they’re auditioning for a Rob Zombie movie but probably aren’t going to get the part, if that makes sense. Jacob’s signature pumpkin pail is also a thing of beauty, and I’ve found myself consistently wondering if that’s where the entire budget of the movie went. All in all, there are parts of this movie I wouldn’t mind watching again, but if I did decide to rewatch, most of it, pretty much all the scenes featuring Mike, Steve, Bobby, and Steve’s girlfriend Carol, would be getting the fast-forward treatment. I almost wish it had been a short film about just the carnival aspect, with the kills done more quickly or even offscreen. 

Perhaps I just simply overhyped this movie too much for myself, having waited with bated breath for over three years to watch it. Maybe I would have been disappointed no matter how it turned out, but I can’t help but be sad because I see a really good story that just wasn’t executed correctly. If Candy Corn could be remade, with the main characters being of either high school or even middle school age, a little more backstory for some, and less of a a wannabe Rob Zombie vibe, I think it could turn out pretty great. But instead we’re left with the try-too-hard story of a bunch of grown-ass losers getting picked off one by one, by a character that’s being painted as a hero and a villain all at once, and a story that seems to start in the middle somehow versus creating any real buildup.

I truly wish that some of these movies that I find on streaming could just be content being what they are. The trap that I feel so many of them fall into is that they all try so hard to capture what’s already been done by the established horror franchises that they essentially come off as cheap parodies. I think there could be a lot of decent independent Halloween horrors out there if the filmmakers could just be happy being unique, rather than trying to play to every trope or recreate something that already works as it is, because a decent amount of them are pretty good until they start overdoing it. 

I’m not sorry that I finally watched Candy Corn, but I wish the experience could have been a little sweeter. If you’re curious to watch it for yourself, to currently free on Amazon Prime, and the trailer is here. Sadly, the trailer makes it look far better than it is. 


Stay spooky, my friends.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while