Skip to main content

Do You Want Frights With That?//October 121st, 2022

 Since my previous post was about my past life of scaredy-cat-ness, I was recently reminded of another story that makes my now-spooky self cringe with embarrassment, but it’s also so silly that I thought it would be fun to share.

Now, as an adult, I’ve come to know and appreciate the many different themes and aesthetics of Halloween/spooky decor. As I think I’ve mentioned before, I consider my personal aesthetic to be something along the lines of, “Vintage Halloween Party Meets Haunted Pumpkin Patch”. Very heavy on the orange, pumpkins everywhere but of varying degrees of rot and facial expression/intent, that sort of thing. I’m not sure if I could pinpoint this as my exact aesthetic in childhood. My pumpkinseed self decorated basically with whatever small, cute, family-friendly things I could afford on allowance and birthday money, with an emphasis on pumpkins, cutesy sheet ghosts, and of course, those tiny, generic little scarecrows that never seem to go out of style, and are the most affordable option for the autumn-inclined eight-year-old, unless you’re at the dollar store. 

I’m not sure at which age I started to realize that there was more to Halloween decor than just smiling pumpkins and ghosts and happy, cheap scarecrows. I know I was spooked by a man in a werewolf costume when I was four, and again by someone masquerading as Freddy Krueger when I was six, but somehow I regarded these as “fluke” experiences. In my younger years, I never regarded horror as a part of Halloween. They were two separate entities, with the former being something I wanted no part of at the time.

However, on one fateful night, I discovered that maybe there was more of a connection between the two things than I cared to admit. 

Now, I’m not sure if it was like this for everyone, but it seems like many kids grow up with that one fast food restaurant that is their family’s go-to, the one that’s closer to their home than any of the others, visited often when something goes wrong or someone just doesn’t feel like cooking, etc. For me, that was McDonald’s. It was maybe ten minutes away, and conveniently located right next to the local supermarket. If my family got fast food, McDonald’s was usually it. We didn’t eat it to excess, of course, but it was pretty set in stone that if my family was going to get something from the “outside world” to eat, it was either going to be pizza or McDonald’s. 

With that said, the constancy of McDonald’s as “the” fast food chain had a way of making any other fast food restaurant seem like a treat. Maybe not as big of a treat as going to a restaurant or diner, but special, somehow, nonetheless, especially to a kid with homebody parents who didn’t really get to go out all that often. 

One night, when I was somewhere between the ages of seven and nine, I can’t remember for sure, my mother brought up the idea of going to Burger King. Burger King was in the opposite direction of our home from McDonald’s, and a slightly further ride. (Technically it was actually in a different state, as I grew up about ten minutes from a border that connected northern New Jersey to northern New York.) This excited me, because the slightly further distance meant that we most likely wouldn’t be bringing the food home, but eating inside. (This didn’t happen often in my childhood, as my father liked to sit in the car and eat if we got fast food without the intention to bring it home. I’m not entirely sure why, but the vast majority of meals I ever had outside the house with my father were eaten in the car.) Even more exciting was the fact that it was near Halloween, which meant the place would probably be decorated, and they’d likely be giving out Halloween-themed toys. (Though as sick as I may have gotten of McDonald’s at times, they will always reign supreme in the Halloween fast food toy premium market.) Sounds like a Halloween-loving, doesn’t-get-out-much kid’s dream, right?

Sadly, not.

I had, in fact, been right about the Burger King being decorated. However, I had been expecting pumpkins and ghosts and the “cuter” side of spooky. But, all over the restaurant, the “severed “ heads of vampires, werewolves, mummies, and monsters were prominently displayed. 

Now, I’ve never been exactly sure which particular set of die cuts this establishment had chosen as their go-to decor that year, but I often see pictures online, from different vintage Halloween groups that I’m in, or eBay auctions, etc., that bring them to mind. And, if anyone from that Burger King’s payroll happened to save those decorations, they’d probably be sitting on a small goldmine, because believe me when I tell you, these die cuts were everywhere in this restaurant, or at least it seemed that way. My mother suggested trying to sit somewhere where they weren’t so prominent, but I could feel them staring at me from every corner of the place, so we wound up bringing our food home, and, most likely, having to reheat it.

That was the night, though, that I started to become aware of different decor styles, and the fact that there might actually be some aspects of Halloween that I didn’t quite like. I know nowadays, Halloween decorations can be so extreme that neighbors end up calling the cops because it looks like an actual crime scene, but for me, at that time, these monster heads were probably the darkest decorations I had seen relating to my favorite holiday. 

I actually did go through a phase, in my early twenties, where I preferred the darker, more gothic side of spooky, with my decor teetering toward skulls and grim reapers and strange looking monsters…that actually remained my outdoor decor aesthetic until I moved out of my childhood home (These days I don’t really decorate outside since I’m never home on Halloween anyway, and taking things down is just too depressing.) but while I still do enjoy and appreciate the style, it doesn’t really say “Halloween” to me in the same way that my current aesthetic does. 

As far as what decorations these were, I’ve honestly never been able to find a picture that makes me go, “Yes! These are the ones!” despite seeing so many different Halloween decorations every day. It’s possible that I’ve never seen them again, but it’s even more possible that my pumpkinseed brain tried extra-hard to erase those images from my memory…and succeeded.


These guys seem to be most likely suspects, as they’re Beistle and almost every fast food chain tends to buy Beistle decorations in bulk, but I swear I remember them being less cartoony than this, although the vampire and the mummy do still look pretty terrifying, especially if you’re a scaredy-cat kid.



These guys have a slightly more ominous look, but I’m still not stricken with any real pang of nostalgia.



It actually very well could have been these guys, as Burger King did seem to have some sort of marketing deal with Universal Monsters. They did a toy promotion in 1997, that I don’t remember at all, and while I feel like this incident happened in probably ‘94 or ‘95, it’s entirely possible that they could have still been using Universal decorations prior to the toys being released. And the realism of these decorations definitely fits my memories more so than the others. (Side note: My older self now really wishes I had those toys!)

I suppose my point here is, spooky decor can take on many forms, and there’s no right or wrong, unless you’re a little kid getting freaked out at Burger King by imagery you’ll come to love in about ten years, thus embarrassing your older self. 

Stay spooky, my friends. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while