Skip to main content

A Reward For True Believers//October 258th, 2021

You are just six years old when your aunt tells you that a being called The Great Pumpkin exists.

You wonder why you never hear the other children talk about him. Any magical creature that comes to your home to leave a gift is something worth talking about, right? All the other children always talk about Santa Claus, or the Easter Bunny. Since that day when your classmate lost a tooth on the kindergarten pumpkin picking trip, everyone has been comparing how much money the tooth fairy leaves for them after each visit.

But no one, not even your older cousin or your neighborhood friends’ older siblings, have ever so much as mentioned The Great Pumpkin.

You soon realize, though, that none of the other kids have ever spoken of Halloween the way that you do. They go around asking, at the beginning of the month, what you’re going to be, and maybe talk about candy a little bit after the fact, but that’s it. They don’t get lost in the thought of it, the way that you do. There’s no spark of pure magic that comes from the imagery of pumpkins glowing on a dimly lit porch in the night, the way there is for you. They spend the year waiting for Christmas or their birthdays, while you  begin counting down to Halloween the second you return from trick or treating. 

And it is with that thought that you realize, The Great Pumpkin must be some type of secret. So few people seem to choose Halloween as their favorite holiday, and therefore The Great Pumpkin chooses few in return. 

It makes sense that your aunt would know of him. She is the one who got you into Halloween, and is the only other person you know who calls it her favorite holiday. No one else in your family would care enough to be chosen. You’ve trick or treated for two years now; you suppose this was your test. You’ve proven your love for Halloween, and now it will be rewarded with a visit from a magical being so secret, you’re certain everyone you know would be jealous. Perhaps it would even make you popular. But you would never betray the trust of The Great Pumpkin. And it’s exciting to have a secret that’s all your own.

But you ask yourself, what does The Great Pumpkin look like? Surely there must be something about him that stands out. Though all pumpkins are great in their own way, there must be something that sets apart The Great Pumpkin. You think about it for a bit, looking at your own decorations, and thinking about pumpkins you’ve seen. Then, finally, it comes to you.

The Great Pumpkin must be a pumpkin with the body of a ghost. It’s an image you’ve seen before, though not quite as frequently as regular pumpkins. Clearly this spiritual, magical entity must be the being that will visit you on the night before Halloween. It only makes sense. And only those who have been chosen, those like yourself, would recognize the image. You’re proud of yourself for decoding The Great Pumpkin’s secret message. Suddenly, everything makes sense.

You lie awake on the night before Halloween, listening like the other children do on Christmas Eve. You don’t dare peek outside your bedroom door, like you’ve done in the past looking for Santa Claus. The Great Pumpkin chooses secrecy, and you must respect that. For you have been chosen. Every noise you hear, you question. Was that the sound of a toy being left in the living room? Could that rattling be some kind of eternal candle, making noise inside his head as he moves? 

Do most children dream of Halloween, on the night of October 30th? 

You don’t know, but you do know that in the morning, all your dreams will come true. Halloween is your reverse-Cinderella story, the day that everything turns into pumpkins, exactly the the way you want things to be.

And now you know, though you may never truly see him, that because you’ve chosen this day as your own, you have your own fairy godparent. 



Comments

  1. This was so awesome, I love it! I could see a little you all excited about The Great Pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not So Sure About This Social Media Thing//October 94th, 2026

 I started this blog six years ago on New Year's Day. I had been through some major life changes in 2018/2019, and really found myself along the way. I felt as though I really had cemented a place for myself within the Halloween community on social media, and often, when I would caption my posts on Instagram with snippets of memories, or a specific feeling that maybe not many others could understand, I would get comments and messages from new friends and followers, complimenting the way I wrote, sometimes even asking for more, and so, the idea to start a blog again was born, and, silly as it may sound, I am very proud that I've managed to stick with it as long as I have. Long work hours, personal problems, bouts of anxiety and depression....none of that has ever fully stopped me from coming back and doing what I love.  But, lately, I have been feeling a little off about social media in general, and that's something I really would like to talk about, as I feel it taking a to...

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’...

Tales From A Walk: April 5th, 2026; AKA Easterween/Creepster/Zombie Jesus Day, Etc.

 Someone asked me once When do you stop mourning the previous Halloween and start looking forward to the next one? That's always been a hard question for me to answer, as I am always looking back or looking ahead, depending on the situation.  I often see what was, and what will be again, simultaneously.  But today, I went for a walk. Probably my first full walk since Christmas time. That last walk, the remnants were still there. Though it was a different holiday entirely, I still met some rotting pumpkins, and some dead leaves clinging to their brittle branches. Then two back to back winter storms came in February, burying us in two feet of snow both times. I don't know that I've ever felt more like I was in alternate reality, or farther away from Halloween. Today was different, though.  When Easter comes, you hear all this talk of spring, and new beginnings, and that sort of thing.  And I guess it never really hit me how that can apply to Halloween as well. Wal...