Skip to main content

A Love Letter To Dani Dennison//October 272nd, 2021

 Being an only child, and always pretty much the definition of a loner, I often idealized fictional characters as perfect potential best friends. 

I was pretty much known for this in my household, sometimes even going so far as to name a doll or stuffed animal after my favorite character of the moment, and treat them/speak of them as if they were an actual friend. The “friend” of the moment could potentially change at any time, some lasting for only a few days, others for months at a time. 

But I don’t think there was ever a character I wanted so badly for a BFF, as I did Dani Dennison.

I know I’ve mentioned several times that I was seven years old the first time I saw Hocus Pocus, and Dani is, of course, eight in the movie, so having a character so close to my own age, in a movie about something so dear to my heart, automatically put her on my fictional-best-friend radar. I remember being truly in awe of Dani the first time I watched the movie; how confident she was, and how ready for adventure. I think I saw in her, everything that I wished I could be at the time. I was so shy and timid I could barely even imagine myself taking control of any situation the way Dani did, or being able to face something as treacherous as the Sanderson Sisters. Despite her initial reluctance to visit the Sanderson house, Dani stays pretty cool and level-headed throughout the whole ordeal in a way that no normal eight-year-old that I knew probably could. Perhaps this was when it really started hitting me, how strange it was that I loved Halloween yet got so spooked by everything even potentially scary, and I wished I could be more like Dani instead. 

I also put a lot of focus onto the things that Dani and I had in common, such as our close ages, and the fact that we both seemed to love cats and Halloween. I idolized her so much that I made sure to dress like a witch the following Halloween...I actually have a vivid memory of settling on a Sleeping Beauty costume in WalMart one evening, then tossing it aside when I turned a corner and saw a witch costume in my size, insisting that I must have it in order to “be like Dani”, and asking if I looked enough like her throughout the actual night of Halloween. This was, notably, the Halloween after I had just turned eight. 

I distinctly remember one night, having a dream in which Dani and I were having a play date together. I have a pretty distinct memory of the dream taking place in the home of my aunt and uncle, but no other kids were there. I don’t remember much about the actual events of the dream, but I remember that Dani looked exactly as she did in the movie, witch costume and all, and in hindsight it was kind of funny that I wanted to be her friend so badly, yet couldn’t seem to picture her as an actual person, living a life that didn’t consist perpetually of fighting a coven of witches on Halloween night. It’s funny how we perceive characters like that...As an adult I sometimes find myself wondering what Dani and Max were like on, say, just some random Tuesday afternoon, but as a child, all that mattered to me was that Dani loved Halloween...and had adventures on Halloween. 

I remember waking up the morning after that dream, devastated that I hadn’t actually met and played with Dani Dennison. I believe the first words out of my mouth that morning were, “Is it possible to make myself have the same dream tonight as last night?” And when my mother asked me what I meant, I said something about how I wanted to keep “playing with Dani”, and she thought I meant some boy in my class! (Side note: I did actually have a tiny crush on a boy named Danny in second grade, and my mother always seemed to have a silly hope that I would end up with a Danny, since that is my father’s name, and she often went by “Kate”, short for Kathleen.) Sadly, I can’t ever recall dreaming about Dani, or much of anything to do with Hocus Pocus, ever again. 

I am hoping, though, that Dani will appear in the upcoming sequel. I’m interested to see if she’s still someone I’d like to hang out with. I have to say, I did enjoy her small role in the book sequel, as she reminded me quite a bit of my Aunt Trish and how we were together when I was a kid. 

What inspired me to talk about all of this today? Well, Spirit Halloween released a Funko Pop figure of Dani and Binx, and I just couldn’t help but think it was funny to have a physical representation of my childhood dream BFF.


You can find your own mini-Dani here if you so desire.

I suppose I should close out this post by saying, in addition to wanting to be Dani’s best friend, I also wanted to literally be Winifred Sanderson, so I’m not sure how that would’ve worked out!

Stay spooky, my friends.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while