Skip to main content

Birthoween//October 344th, 2020

 Today is my birthday.

I have never considered myself a “summer baby”, despite the fact that the Gregorian date of September 8th isn’t quite autumn. To me, September means fall, no matter what society or the temperature have to say about it. 

My Halloween soul has always felt fortunate that my birthday falls when it does. Despite the fact that, in childhood, my birthday also meant the start of the school year, my compensation for that was the fact that it also meant the start of what’s now referred to as “spooky season”.


When I was younger, I obviously wasn’t able to stalk the stores for Halloween decor in the same way that I do now. I have no recollection of ever really seeing Halloween decor on shelves before September until I was almost fourteen. So, my birthday truly felt like the start of Halloween season, as if the entire world was giving me a two-month long gift. 

As money started coming in the mail from extended family, it gave me comfort to know that the next time I saw a Halloween decoration in a store, perhaps I could buy it. Even if I was out shopping, with my mother or grandfather or an aunt, and had no money of my own, I knew I could use my birthday as a bargaining chip to purchase something spooky. Sometimes I wonder if my childhood collection would’ve been quite as big if it hadn’t been for the way my birthday falls. Not to say that I never spent my birthday money on, or received a gift that was, something “normal”, but having such a small window of opportunity to shop for it, most of my extra money always went toward Halloween. 

When I was very young, the colors I associated with my birthday were pink and blue. This was most likely due to pink and blue kitten and puppy wrapping paper at the first birthday party I have a real memory of. (We actually hung a piece of it on the refrigerator and I, who was turning four, I believe, held up the old house phone in the kitchen to the fridge, thinking my aunt could see it through the phone!) This has remained, to a degree, through my adult years, but as I’ve gotten older, when I think of my birthday, after that initial memory of pink and blue and the smell of candles being blown out, I see shades of autumn, as if I’m standing at the edge of my favorite time of year.


I don’t really remember what I used to wish for on my birthday candles. Most likely some sort of toy or to meet a favorite celebrity or something. (I do have one distinct memory of wishing for a stuffed animal of the dog, Nuzzle, from the old children’s TV series The Puzzle Place, and not getting it until a few years ago when one of my best friends, with whom the story had become a running joke, sent me one dressed in a pumpkin costume!) But I realize now that there is no greater wish fulfillment than the magic that comes every year on the heels of my day of birth, the beginning of the season that makes my soul shine brighter than the candles on any cake ever could.


Stay spooky, my friends.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not So Sure About This Social Media Thing//October 94th, 2026

 I started this blog six years ago on New Year's Day. I had been through some major life changes in 2018/2019, and really found myself along the way. I felt as though I really had cemented a place for myself within the Halloween community on social media, and often, when I would caption my posts on Instagram with snippets of memories, or a specific feeling that maybe not many others could understand, I would get comments and messages from new friends and followers, complimenting the way I wrote, sometimes even asking for more, and so, the idea to start a blog again was born, and, silly as it may sound, I am very proud that I've managed to stick with it as long as I have. Long work hours, personal problems, bouts of anxiety and depression....none of that has ever fully stopped me from coming back and doing what I love.  But, lately, I have been feeling a little off about social media in general, and that's something I really would like to talk about, as I feel it taking a to...

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’...

Tales From A Walk: April 5th, 2026; AKA Easterween/Creepster/Zombie Jesus Day, Etc.

 Someone asked me once When do you stop mourning the previous Halloween and start looking forward to the next one? That's always been a hard question for me to answer, as I am always looking back or looking ahead, depending on the situation.  I often see what was, and what will be again, simultaneously.  But today, I went for a walk. Probably my first full walk since Christmas time. That last walk, the remnants were still there. Though it was a different holiday entirely, I still met some rotting pumpkins, and some dead leaves clinging to their brittle branches. Then two back to back winter storms came in February, burying us in two feet of snow both times. I don't know that I've ever felt more like I was in alternate reality, or farther away from Halloween. Today was different, though.  When Easter comes, you hear all this talk of spring, and new beginnings, and that sort of thing.  And I guess it never really hit me how that can apply to Halloween as well. Wal...