Skip to main content

The Gatekeeper//October 342nd, 2020

Halloween does end the most abruptly of the holidays.

It’s gotten worse as time has gone on. Stranger.

One night, we all are happy trick-or-treaters, making mischief in the moonlight, but then the next day, for some, it’s like it never even happened.

The atmosphere starts to be taken over by what ‘should’ be everyone’s favorite holiday, according to society. 

But what do they know?

Those of us who choose to hold onto the Halloween spirit have probably all wondered.

Where do Halloween memories come from?

And, perhaps more importantly, where do they go?


There is an ancient pumpkin man. Not many have seen him. In fact, if you have seen him, you may have thought he was just a headstone in a cemetery, silently watching over his deceased.

And that’s not entirely wrong.

He is the Gatekeeper. Guardian and spirit of every Halloween memory that exists. Like a vessel, he holds the weight of thousands of Halloweens inside him; Halloween past is still very much alive within him. He will share his secrets with anyone who cares enough to ask, but he knows there are only a special few. And those few have earned his favor, whether or not they’re truly aware of his existence.

Those moments, when we become entranced, enveloped by a sudden happy memory of a night spent scurrying through our childhood neighborhood desperately trying to make it to every well-lit house we could, that is the Gatekeeper reminding us of what sets our souls on fire like the candles inside the many jack o’lanterns he has assisted into the afterlife.

When your pumpkin rots, after a few nights of glory, the Gatekeeper is there to make sure it becomes a part of Halloween history. Billions of pumpkin souls reside in his realm, every so often shining down to bestow their memories upon the ones that caved them. 

Do the memories mean the same to everyone?

Of course not. To some, Halloween is just a brief, passing enchantment. An evening of fun that turns into just another day, as quickly as it arrived.

But for the lucky ones, the memories stay. They become as vivid as the changing leaves against a bright blue sky on an October afternoon, and in an instant, they can send us to that special place, sometimes when we need it the most.

We are the lucky ones. Chosen, perhaps. Did Halloween choose us or did we choose it?

Only the Gatekeeper knows for sure.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while