Skip to main content

The BOOtiful Life Of A Special Treat Pail//October 304th, 2020

I have a real “thing” about trick-or-treat pails.

My parents had a pumpkin pail for me since before I was born. One of those old blow molds, with a puffy witch on the back. The pumpkin’s facial features were bumpy; tons of raised little dots stippled in his eyes, nose, and mouth. His teeth were more square than the ones you see today, and his handle was thicker. I’m not sure what ever happened to him, but I know he got a lot of use from me between the ages of four and seven.

When I was eight, however, what can only be described as a life-altering trick-or-treat pail event happened.

The year was 1995. I’m not sure what month it was, but I’m thinking it was teeny bit on the “early” side for Halloween things. I walked into WalMart with my parents and my maternal grandfather, who lived with us at the time, and, like any kid, immediately found some stuffed animal that I wanted someone to buy for me. My grandfather agreed to it without much coaxing; that’s just how he was. But then, we somehow stumbled upon a display of Halloween pails. 

The movie Casper had just come out a few months prior, and was already one of my favorite things. A movie about ghosts that allowed me to get into the Halloween spirit ahead of time? Yes, please. Kat Harvey had become my dream BFF along with Dani Dennison. I had a Casper plushie that I treasured, that had kept me company after taking a bad fall and cutting my arm earlier that summer.

And now, on a shelf before me in WalMart, there was a Casper Halloween pail!


I went crazy for it, and my grandfather told me he’d buy it if I put back the stuffed animal I’d begged for when we first walked in. I happily obliged...I don’t really think there’s ever been a time when I wouldn’t choose Halloween over literally anything else.

I was absolutely elated with my new pail, and couldn’t wait to use it. When we started putting the decorations up that year, it became part of my “Pumpkin Patch” display. It sat in a weird little open square in our coffee table, and I stuck inside it two “magic wands” that I’d bought from a local fall festival, one with a pumpkin, and one with a ghost, at the top. Every time I was in the room, I’d stare at that pail in anticipation of taking it out on Halloween night.

Halloween finally came, and I happily set out in my witch costume, hoping that I looked the slightest bit like Dani Dennison, with my Casper pail in hand. I was so excited about it, and I immediately started getting compliments, from both kids and adults. Everyone wanted to know where I’d found such a thing. This may have been my first real experience of feeling like a true Queen of Halloween. At one point that year I met up with a friend, who was wearing an amazing handmade bride costume, and we went to a few doors together. One woman complimented her and then looked at me and said, “...and you’re a witch.” But in my mind I thought, “So what? A handmade costume? I have a Casper pail!” I also noticed that the Casper pail, because it was so tall, could hold a lot more candy than the average pumpkin, and my aunt and I would do long trick-or-treat routes back then, so I knew it was going to be my go-to for years to come.

And it did. It truly amazes me when I think about all of the Halloween adventures that candy pail saw.

At age nine, I dressed up like a girl from the 50’s. That had always been my favorite era in time; I actually had a meltdown when I was around five years old because I realized I’d never get to experience it for myself. I tripped on a log in someone’s yard that night and ripped the tights I was wearing, skinning my knee as well, all while still holding onto my beloved Casper pail. The idea of losing or breaking it was scarier to me than any injury.

Ten was a rough Halloween for me. My aunt had bought me a beautiful, expensive and elaborate Cinderella costume from the Disney Store. I was so excited about it, and therefore made the mistake of telling some “popular” girls in my class at school. They were getting to a point of being “too cool” for things like that and were planning on dressing as “psychopathic freaks” (a term I had never heard before) for Halloween. I was teased mercilessly leading up to Halloween, but I fought hard to maintain my spirit, and that Halloween night, I set out, proud of both my costume and my Casper pail, and had a great time, just being myself and not caring anymore what anyone thought.

At age eleven, for some reason I desperately wanted to be an angel for Halloween. What I didn’t account for, however, was the fact that I’d most likely have to wear a jacket that night, which wouldn’t at all be conducive to wings! In the McDonald’s bathroom that year, while I was holding onto that same Casper pail, my aunt was trying to adjust the wings over the lightest jacket I could get away with wearing, and snapped the elastic on one side. We were able to get a straight pin from a woman on our trick-or-treat route that my aunt knew, but I spent the rest of the night trying to keep the wings attached while holding onto my pail at the same time. I swore off costumes with wings after that treacherous evening!

Age twelve brought a mild Halloween, with me in a pumpkin costume. That Halloween was such a salvation for me, having just started middle school and basically being perpetually stressed out. Halloween, and my beloved Casper treat pail, were the constant things I counted on at the beginning of that school year.

The last time I used the pail for trick-or-treating was at age thirteen, when I dressed as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. That year, Casper saw me through a seam in the dress irritating my stomach, but I was determined to go on. I also was annoyed by the fact that at some point, it got so cold that I had to wear a pink jacket over my costume, and ran into a girl from my science class at one house who looked at me strangely. 

When I was fourteen, I decided to get one of those “inverted” pumpkin pails, black with an orange face, because I thought it matched my costume that year. (I was a witch again, prominently orange and black.) I was also probably a little bit concerned that the Casper pail made me look too kiddie, as I was already hearing the occasional comment about being “too old for Halloween”. The Casper pail stayed around as a decoration, though, until my old box of childhood/teen years Halloween goodies mysteriously went missing. 

I was recently able to find and purchase my beloved Casper pail once again from Mercari. Though I know this isn’t the actual one I owned in childhood (though I suppose there’s a slim chance it could be, as I have no idea where my old one ended up) I can still see the reflections of all those past Halloweens inside it. Every costume. Every adventure. Every mishap. Every decoration admired. It’s all right there, overflowing inside this treat pail like candy after a long, productive Halloween night. 

When I grab it by the handle, it still feels so familiar, like childhood Halloween happiness. Like coming home.

Stay spooky, my friends.

Comments

  1. I loved reading about your trick-or-treating memories. I wish I had as clear and vivid memories of my own. I’m happy you’re blogging! I’ve been blogging since 2006 and it’s such a great way to get your thoughts and feeling out into the world. Keep it up! ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have so many extremely vivid memories of my childhood Halloweens and I truly enjoy sharing them and reminiscing. It always makes me so happy when others enjoy hearing them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while