Skip to main content

100 Days ‘Til Halloween//October 297th, 2020

With today being the 100 day mark until Halloween, I started to ask myself:

When did my life start to become a perpetual countdown to Halloween?

The simple answer, of course, is that it always has been. From the first time I trick-or-treated at age four, there was always a part of me that was anticipating the next time it would happen. I don’t know how often I actually thought about it then...Perception of time is different when you’re that young. You don’t look at boxes on a calendar so much as you observe the world around you. But I knew when the world was at its best and brightest for me, and as I would start to see things slowly transform as autumn once again approached, I was always ay my happiest.

I think I was around ten years old when I started to realize how much I truly missed Halloween in the off-season. Thanks to my father, who was always computer-obsessed, I already had a computer in my bedroom and would make my own background wallpaper using good ol’ MS Paint. A lot of the time, they were just goofy pictures I drew of characters I liked at the time or something relating to whatever time of year it was. But for some reason, on this particular day, which for some reason I’m thinking was in May, I suddenly got hit with a wave of emotion and made a background with a (very crudely drawn) pumpkin and ghost on it, with the words “HOW MUCH LONGER ‘TIL OCTOBER 31st?” written in messy but huge and determined letters, by hand, because I didn’t think any of the available fonts got the point across in the same way. I remember proudly telling my aunt, the woman responsible for getting me into Halloween in the first place, about it, but getting little more than a strange look and a confirmation that “It’s May!” in response. I believe it was in that moment that I realized I was very different from other people who called Halloween their “favorite holiday”.

When I was twelve, I had a dream about trick-or-treating, in February, and woke up disappointed that it wasn’t actually time to celebrate Halloween. It inspired a comedic poem that my mother and I would go on to laugh about for years to come. The only line I really remember is “Now I hear sirens, I fear I must hurry. I’ll never again trick-or-treat in February!” I treated it like a joke, but the truth was, there was nothing I wanted more in the world than to just put on a costume and go for it, no matter what the calendar said. That was also the year I realized just how much I truly relied on Halloween, while going through the rough transition of starting middle school. That was when I really started feeling the emptiness of the off-season, when I couldn’t look around and see Halloween decorations to comfort me. 

The year I was fourteen was probably the turning point. 9/11 happened that year, just over a month before Halloween, and everything felt uncertain. We had been given a random free preview of the Disney Channel, and Halloweentown II was about to premiere. The preview actually didn’t last long enough for me to see it, but I became obsessed with the concept of a place where every day was Halloween. I suppose I could sense the world was changing, and I also lost my grandfather, who I was incredibly close to, that October, but that just cemented my love and need for Halloween even further. When the season ended that year (after Halloween nearly being cancelled because of fear of terror attacks and anthrax), I could feel that I was taking it harder than I ever had before. I started missing it like a loved one who’d moved far away, rather than just having my usual thoughts of “I sure wish it was Halloween right now!” When Christmas time came, I could feel myself becoming disenchanted with it. I tried to have fun, but I couldn’t pretend it was my favorite holiday anymore as I always had before. I wrote in my diary that all I wanted for Christmas was Halloween, and that no one seemed to understand. I wrote tons of poems about how much I missed the season and just how empty I felt without the comforts of Halloween around me. For some reason it never occurred to me then that I should keep my decorations out year-round, and I truly wish I had started doing that sooner.

I believe I was twenty when I actually started keeping decorations out year-round. My only explanation for not doing it sooner is that I probably thought it would somehow make the actual season less special, but that has never been the case, and I know that I am a happier person since surrounding myself with Halloween all year round. I am constantly finding new ways to keep the Halloween spirit alive no matter what the calendar says, and I am never happier than when I’m doing something Halloween-y. 

And I must add, it truly feels wonderful to have finally found people around social media who feel the same way, and count down the days and celebrate the milestones, like today’s 100 day mark, just as I have always done.


Stay spooky, my friends, and happy 100 Days ‘Til Halloween! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while