Skip to main content

Pumpkin Patch Origins//October 227th, 2020



Have you ever wondered why I refer to my room, my blog, basically the entire little universe I’ve created, as The Pumpkin Patch?

Well, as you can probably imagine, I have a very long, very happy, very emotional history with pumpkins. I dressed as a pumpkin the first year I trick-or-treated. The first autumn event I remember experiencing outside of Halloween night itself was a class pumpkin picking trip in kindergarten, and painting the pumpkins afterward. The Great Pumpkin visited me for most of my childhood. And, for as long as I can remember, the Halloween decor displays I would set up in my childhood home (I was always the one in charge of the Halloween decorations; Halloween was not my parents’ thing.) were always referred to as “The Pumpkin Patch”.


My childhood displays consisted of more than pumpkins, of course. I would line up every Halloween item I could find, from pumpkin pails, to tiny raffia scarecrows, to ghosts made of cheesecloth, to anthropomorphic chicken McNuggets in costumes that came from McDonalds Happy Meals, on pur coffee table and around our living room. My mother sometimes told me it looked more like a garage sale than a display, but I was always pleased with myself. I simply couldn’t leave out any potential decoration. I loved when I looked in the living room and everything seemed to be orange and black, with the occasional white ghost sheet or green witch face. And for whatever reason, every year, I referred to these displays as “The Pumpkin Patch”, even going so far, when I got older and thought I had nice enough handwriting, as to make a little sign out of construction paper for my largest scarecrow at the time to stand with, declaring “Welcome to the Pumpkin Patch”. I suppose, no matter how many other decorations I had, it was, deep down, really always about the pumpkins.


As I got older, I began to realize that pumpkin people truly were, and essentially always had been, my favorite Halloween characters. I’m really not sure why. It could be the fact that they’re featured heavily in vintage Halloween imagery, which is something I’ve always been drawn to. It could also be the fact that the costume I wore on my first real Halloween was a pumpkin costume. Perhaps it has to do with the Great Pumpkin tradition my aunt and I had for so many years. Maybe it’s all these things combined, plus something more. But whatever it is, I know that pumpkin people make me the happiest.


If you’re familiar with my art doll collection at all, you‘ll most likely notice that the majority of them are, in fact, pumpkins. Over the past couple of years, as I started to realize that my collection of “normal” dolls no longer really satisfied or inspired me, I started to realize more and more that Halloween art, particularly pumpkin people, most definitely do. So why not move my collecting in the direction of what makes me happiest in the world? As I started to get back into collecting through these amazing handmade dolls that I’ve found through Instagram and Etsy (plus some from retail stores as well), I started to realize my true style and aesthetic. Suddenly my childhood dream of a “pumpkin patch” full of Halloween characters was becoming a reality, and, for possibly the first time in my life, I started to fully feel like myself. 


I don’t remember exactly how I ever came up with the online surname of “Pumpkinhead” for myself. I just thought of it one day and knew that it fit, despite not really having my style fully figured out yet. I think in some way, having loved Halloween to the point of total obsession since I was four years old, I truly identify with pumpkins, only feeling alive and relevant during Halloween season. Living amongst pumpkins in an actual pumpkin patch that never dies is an absolute dream to me. 


There really is no describing how at home I feel surrounded by pumpkins. It feels, no jack o’lantern joke intended, like something just lights up inside me, and I’m where I’m meant to be. The longing I feel when I think about pumpkin patches or places like The Great Jack O’Latern Blaze is a poignant homesickness, and I am forever counting down the days until I can be at these places again. Sometimes I stare out the window, looking out over the roads and the hills and the mountains, just thinking about the fact that somewhere out there, pumpkins are growing, or being carved for the Blaze, etc. It’s always the most comforting thought.


It’s funny how my silly little childhood nickname for my display of decorations has come to mean so much more to me in my adult life. I didn’t realize when I was five years old that I was defining what would make me happiest in the world as my life went on. I truly don’t know how I ever became so attached to pumpkin, if it was the events of my childhood, the costume I wore on the Halloween that would ultimately define me, or if it’s just something that’s always been wired into my brain, but whatever it is, I’m glad it’s there. I wouldn’t be me without it.

Stay spooky, my friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not So Sure About This Social Media Thing//October 94th, 2026

 I started this blog six years ago on New Year's Day. I had been through some major life changes in 2018/2019, and really found myself along the way. I felt as though I really had cemented a place for myself within the Halloween community on social media, and often, when I would caption my posts on Instagram with snippets of memories, or a specific feeling that maybe not many others could understand, I would get comments and messages from new friends and followers, complimenting the way I wrote, sometimes even asking for more, and so, the idea to start a blog again was born, and, silly as it may sound, I am very proud that I've managed to stick with it as long as I have. Long work hours, personal problems, bouts of anxiety and depression....none of that has ever fully stopped me from coming back and doing what I love.  But, lately, I have been feeling a little off about social media in general, and that's something I really would like to talk about, as I feel it taking a to...

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’...

Tales From A Walk: April 5th, 2026; AKA Easterween/Creepster/Zombie Jesus Day, Etc.

 Someone asked me once When do you stop mourning the previous Halloween and start looking forward to the next one? That's always been a hard question for me to answer, as I am always looking back or looking ahead, depending on the situation.  I often see what was, and what will be again, simultaneously.  But today, I went for a walk. Probably my first full walk since Christmas time. That last walk, the remnants were still there. Though it was a different holiday entirely, I still met some rotting pumpkins, and some dead leaves clinging to their brittle branches. Then two back to back winter storms came in February, burying us in two feet of snow both times. I don't know that I've ever felt more like I was in alternate reality, or farther away from Halloween. Today was different, though.  When Easter comes, you hear all this talk of spring, and new beginnings, and that sort of thing.  And I guess it never really hit me how that can apply to Halloween as well. Wal...