Skip to main content

It’s Not Always Sunny In The Pumpkin Patch: Racism Is The True Horror//October 244th, 2020

(by @mater.mortem on Instagram)

The time has come once again to address an issue that doesn’t relate to Halloween, but is truly scary.

As a horror fan, I can think of many terrifying things. Just last night I shared the monster from my scariest childhood nightmare. The day before that I talked about a chainsaw-wielding maniac. But I don’t think there can possibly be a more horrifying concept in the world than having to fear for your life on a daily basis, solely for existing as a black individual.

As a white woman, I obviously can’t even begin to comprehend what it feels like, to experience the oppression and venom that black people have been forced to deal with, on a daily basis, for so long. But another thing I simply can’t comprehend is why such a horrific, ugly attitude toward our fellow human beings exists in the first place.

I grew up in a mostly white area. I was an only child with a strict Republican father. I can’t even recall how old I was before I had a classmate of color. But even as a small child with very little exposure to different types of people, the idea that some people were white and some people were black didn’t phase me any more than the fact that the girl sitting next to me in kindergarten may have had blonde hair vs. my brunette. It was just a fact of life. There were people with dark skin and people with light skin, and people in between, etc. I never thought twice about it, and it certainly never occurred to me, and still hasn’t, to think badly of anyone for having a different physical attribute than me.

Meanwhile, while I, as a small child, could grasp that concept with no real second thoughts, there are people in this world, in the year 2020, some of them given guns and badges, swearing to protect all people, who not only hate black people, but are needlessly attacking them, and in some cases, brutally murdering  them.

(Art by @thisissianellis on Instagram)

It should go without saying at this point, but this is truly not okay. It’s in no way comparable, but I think about the times I felt bullied, possibly even threatened, in my younger years over not liking the same things as my peers. That feeling of being afraid to go to school because you never knew what the mean kids might say or do...and then I think of the fact that, there are people out there, every day, who are likely afraid to just exist in the world because on any given day, someone who doesn’t like the color of their skin, something they were born with and should be proud of, could decide they’ve done something wrong and cause their life to end. Look at all these cases. So many senseless deaths, caused by nothing more than people just going about their daily lives. I can’t even fathom the anxiety it must cause in a person, to feel that you’re never 100% safe in the world. To have to worry about how you look or how you move when out and about, for fear that someone may interpret you as “dangerous” and have you, at the very least, stopped and frisked, or in a sadly common worst-case scenario, killed. 

This needs to stop, and it’s incredibly sad that there have been this many deaths before any real change has come about. I remember, at a young age, learning about slavery, and Martin Luther King Jr., in school, commemorating Black History Month, and thinking it was incredible how far black people and black culture have come. But the sad truth is, it seems the world is not as changed as I thought it was in my younger, more naive years. I only hope that this recent, awful murder of George Floyd will at last be the final straw. It is time for all of us to come together and fight this horrible monster known as racism.

It’s time for people to just be able to live, without fear of brutality due to the color of their skin. 

(By @blackveiltattoo on Instagram)

Stay spooky, my friends. And stand in solidarity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while

Pumpkin Guts: Devil’s Night//October 277th, 2024

 I was recently given the opportunity to check out a new, independent Halloween short film called Pumpkin Guts: Devil’s Night.  (Picture from IMDb) I first became aware of this film through the  Instagram page , and to say I absolutely knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I’d love it, would be an understatement. I can always tell when a piece of media is truly going to radiate Halloween, in the way that will transport me through whatever month we’re currently in (in this case, probably the most disgusting July on record) and into Halloween night itself. When I was offered early access to this short film, I could not have been more honored. Even though I’ve built up somewhat of a following within the Halloween community, it still amazes me every day that people finally truly see and feel what I’m trying to create; that my love of Halloween finally means something and brings some joy and comfort to others like myself, and that anyone, especially a filmmaker, would trust me to understand