Skip to main content

90s Kid Halloween Nostalgia: The Importance of McDonald's//October 22nd, 2023

 The recent release of this year's McDonald's Boo Buckets has me thinking a lot about my childhood Halloweens, and how McDonald's played a very pivotal role pretty much until adulthood for me. 

We had some of the old buckets in our home from before I was even born. My grandfather was an avid collector of anything and everything that he thought could be of value, or at least of amusement to future children of the family, so I often wound up with things like that. The buckets were actually some of my favorite toys from a very young age, likely my earliest Halloween memories. 

As I got older, though, the collecting gene passed onto me. I always hoped to complete a McDonald's toy collection and Halloween was, of course, always a priority. When the costumed McNuggets came out, that first year I managed to collect all but the pumpkin, which was, of course, the one I'd wanted most. I have a distinct memory of going to McDonald's one night, in the final days before Halloween, so certain I would get it, as it was the only one left, only to find out they'd already sold out. It was one of the more devastating moments of my young, spooky life. I would have gladly traded the mummy, honestly, since it had a spider on its headpiece and I was still deathly afraid of them at the time. For many years that mummy would sit within my Halloween display, bald. I can't remember how I did with the second set of McNuggets released, but I don't think I cared at that point, as they really weren't Halloween-themed anymore and I'm pretty sure in my mind, it was all downhill from the loss of the OG pumpkin, anyway.


Then there was the year of the McDonald's mascot characters in snap-on costumes. This was exciting to me because I'd always loved Birdie and there really wasn't merchandise of her, so I was excited to get a figure. I believe I actually wound up with two of her, so I kept one in costume and one without. I believe I actually played more with my Grimace-as-a-ghost figure, though. My surprise obsession that Halloween season, though, came in the form of the cassette tapes that were also given out with the Happy Meals. Despite my initial disappointment not to actually be getting a toy with my meal, I went home, popped the tape in my old Fisher Price cassette player, and had perhaps my first exposure to Halloween music. What Am I Gonna Be For Halloween? became a go-to song for me. I still get that excited pang of a kid about to go shopping for their costume when I hear it even now. I think I mentioned this in another post, but I often walked around my yard, imagining a music video in which I starred with classmates and movie characters, singing about our costumes and whether they were "frightful" or "delightful" that year. I also used the Scary Sound Effects tape for ambience in my room when it was decorated. I distinctly remember once leading my family around my "haunted room" with those sounds playing in the background. (I swear if I could find the effort and motivation I have for Halloween with anything else in my life, I could truly be unstoppable.)

One of the final major memories I have of McDonald's Halloween fare in my childhood is of the video Scared Silly. (The YouTube video says 2002 but I'm pretty sure this actually was released in 1998.) I actually plan to do a full review of this one day, but for now I'll just say that it became a spooky season staple for me in my younger years. Something about it just nailed the atmosphere for me, though it could be because McDonald's was already such a huge part of my spooky life. I suppose a literal McDonald's Halloween special seemed only right, by that point. 

This was all, of course, framed by the fact that part of my Halloween night was always spent at McDonald's. My yearly pre-trick-or-treating tradition with my Aunt Trish was always to stop off at McDonald's first. Halloween usually went like this: School in the morning/early afternoon (except when it fell on the weekend in which case, agonizing until around 4:30 PM), speeding through homework if applicable, a trick-or-treat round of the local neighborhood with my mother, come home and sort candy, get picked up by Aunt Trish, dinner at McDonald's, and then the main trick-or-treating event (sometimes preceded by a stop at Aunt Trish's if someone forgot a flashlight). 

Now, living so close to a McDonald's, I ate there countless times. Not to excess of course, but I definitely got my fair share of Happy Meals. However, my local Golden Arches felt like they led to a different world on Halloween night. Sometimes kids from school would be there, also in costume. The year I was in sixth grade, I ran into a classmate, Lisa, who I'd known and been friendly with since kindergarten. She was in such professional looking clown makeup that it took me a long time to recognize her! And that was the excitement of it...almost like getting an innermost glimpse into the minds of people you saw on a daily basis. Classmates, parents, even McDonald's employees themselves...what did their costumes have to say about them? And could they finally see me, as more than the girl who usually just blended in?

I also remember the Happy Meals themselves...I don't think I ever got a Halloween toy on Halloween night itself. Even at a young age I found it oddly bittersweet...as if a reminder that after this night, things were going back to "normal", and the things I loved so much were about to go back into hiding for another year. It was a strange mixture of finality and anticipation, as I mourned what was passing but already began to wonder what the next Halloween season would hold. Because, in my childhood, McDonald's always held some part of the Halloween magic. And that is something I've never been able to forget, to this day.

It pains me when I see people complaining about "grown adults" buying up all of the pails these past two seasons. Yes, resellers are terrible, and more product should always be made to meet demand, but please keep in mind, for some of us, many of us really, that grew up in the 80s and 90s, these McDonald's pails, these memories, truly were our childhoods. Halloween has changed so much over the course of time, as society has tried to change the way we celebrate. Trunk or treats, mall-o-weens, the insistence that Halloween should only be celebrated on a Saturday...is it too much to ask, to want to hold on to these little things that anchor us to what once was? I can't speak for every adult that's ordered a Happy Meal this past week, but I know that I, personally, instantly feel like a child again, my happiest self about to embark on my spookiest adventures, when I pick up that pail with the meal inside. I don't eat McDonald's much as an adult, but I can tell you it tastes different from inside a Halloween pail. It tastes like, if only for a moment, part of my childhood is tangible again. 


Stay spooky, my friends.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while