Skip to main content

Spooky Season Starts Now//October 270th, 2023

 Something that's made me very happy this year is the fact that the entire Halloween community and then some seems to be in agreement that the "official" start of what the layman refers to as "spooky season" is July 5th. 

Naturally, Summer Summers of Summerville and her insufferable squad of swamp ass advocates are up in arms about it. Here's a comment from a post I made acknowledging the "midnight on July 4th" kickoff:

My response was simply that I choose to do what makes me happy regardless of the calendar date. Summer Summers' rep clearly had no good answer for that that wouldn't have made her sound like a compete (swamp)asshole, and so the conversation came to an end, with a few comments from fellow "pumpkinheads" along the way. I'm not dwelling on this one Negative Nancy by any stretch of the imagination, but this and other comments I've been hearing have made me want to talk about why a July 5th kickoff to the layman's spooky season actually makes perfect sense. 

First of all, there are no other major holidays between now and Halloween. Yes, Labor Day exists, but it's not something that people decorate for. (And if they do they just keep their July 4th stuff up anyway.) It's not that huge of a deal in the grand scheme of things, especially from a retail perspective. Yes, some stores do Back To School, but not all. The craft and home decor stores would have nothing to fill their seasonal aisles with if they didn't start dipping into Halloween and fall. At this point, people have their summer stuff. Many places are already starting to clearance it off.

Second, think of how little retail time Halloween would actually get if stores didn't start putting it out until the Summerville Foundation For The Preservation Of Swamp Ass deemed it acceptable. Not until after Labor Day? When September is when most of the major retail chains start thinking Christmas?!  We'd have Halloween actively on the shelves for what, two weeks?! I'll never condone it, but we have to face facts: Major retail chains are always going to favor Christmas and try to get the jump on it. I'm not sure if it's like this everywhere, but my Target waits until the end of September/very beginning of October to stock their Halloween most years, and before it's fully packed out, it's being shoved into a corner to make way for Christmas. If it wasn't for the stores that start stocking in summer, Halloween would just barely exist as a retail holiday. 

For many years now, it's been accepted that the Christmas season starts immediately on November 1st. (Though technically Christmas starts its year invasion long before that.) No time is allotted to mourn Halloween. Thanksgiving is barely acknowledged at all. Halloweens ends for the layman, Mariah Carey makes her annual TikTok post, and boom, we're all expected to get holly jolly. This is something Halloween people continually have to deal with and are expected to accept. Sometimes even the spookiest accounts get right into Christmas, and while it pains me, I don't comment. I think to myself I'm glad they're happy. Or Lucky them, being able to move on so quickly from Post-Halloween Depression, and then continue scrolling until I find something I like. While I'll admit it may feel like it at times, no one is forcing me out of spooky mode because November hit. Just as no one is forcing Summer Summers of Summerville and her cronies out of summer mode. Unfortunately there are still two and a half months of summer ahead of us, and no amount of hanging ghosts, posable skeletons, or pumpkin spice lattes at your local coffee shop are going to change the weather. The first sign of a pumpkin in a local home decor store doesn't mean you're suddenly banned from the beach until 2024, just as the first sign of a Christmas tree doesn't mean you have to toss the pumpkin you worked so hard to carve in the garbage. If you're not ready for Halloween-time, you don't have to be. But if you are ready, if you wait all year for this, if it's what gets you through your days, the end of July 4th is incredibly significant, because it finally feels tangible again. 

There's a beauty and a freedom to not living life by a calendar, that I wish more people understood. To me, Halloween is a lifestyle and a chosen decor aesthetic. Something that simply can't be limited to a few months out of the year. I don't know who I'd be without it, nor do I wish to find out. And there's an excitement that comes with knowing that the rest of the world is about to get on my level again. 

And logistically, it makes perfect sense. 

Stay spooky my friends, and enjoy this season to the fullest. No matter what the naysayers think, it's here. And it is to be treasured.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while