Skip to main content

Halloweek & The Quest To Preserve The Halloween Spirit//October 258th, 2023

 If I'm known for anything, it is probably the fact that I try to hold onto Halloween, keep the spirit alive, and spread that spooky joy, all year long, no matter what the calendar says. Halloween is such a part of me that I've long-since stopped thinking of it as simply being a "season". It's just...what I like. Who I am. To me, hanging Halloween decorations year round is no different than if I chose to decorate in the motif of any favorite color or animal or aesthetic. Some people like a woodland theme, some people, gourd help them, like a beach theme...I just prefer vintage Halloween party meets twisted pumpkin patch. 

Sadly, it didn't always occur to me that I could celebrate Halloween all year round if I wanted. I truly don't know if it was a fear of being thought of as "weird" in my younger years (though I'm not sure by whom as it's not like I ever had classmates come over, and my childhood best friend was always into witchy stuff) or perhaps just the worry that Halloween would no longer feel "special" if I lived in it all year round, but for whatever reason, I felt no choice but to lay Halloween to rest shortly after the day had passed, in my younger years. 

One year when this became particularly difficult for me, though, was the year I had just turned twelve, at the end of 1999.

Twelve was not an easy year for me, for many reasons, but, most notably, this was the year I started seventh grade. Middle school. I already felt too babyish to exist among my peers, and being put into an environment where I was expected to act like a pre-teen felt like a nightmare. I felt so uprooted, leaving the comfort of my elementary school, where I knew everyone, including the teachers, and where having very few friends didn't feel quite as lonely. Everything in middle school felt like too much. On my first day, I had a panic attack when I got home. On my birthday, less than a week after school began, I got my very first ocular migraine. My stomach would turn itself inside out on Sunday nights, as the weekend drew to a close and I knew I was had no choice but to face down another school week. I was never one of those kids that looked forward to going to school, but 1999 was the year I began to dread it. 

Comfort eventually came, though, in the way that it always does for me: Through Halloween.

In a more detailed post, I talked about going for a ride on an autumn afternoon, and discovering a die-cut pumpkin who I named Winky, in someone's window, and suddenly remembering that despite all of the changes and challenges in my life during that time, Halloween was still coming. (You can read even more about Winky here. It's probably my favorite story I've ever told.) Once that knowledge came back to me, once I remembered who I was and what was important to me in that moment, I held onto it with an iron grip. Whenever the new-seventh-grader panic would set in, throughout the month of October, all I had to do was remind myself that I still had Halloween. It was still coming. Despite all of these crazy changes in my life, my favorite thing in the universe could not be touched by these changes. I think, at this point, this was the most excited I'd ever gotten about Halloween, which was saying something. This was probably the first year that I began to recognize it as a salvation, not just a day that I enjoyed more than most people.

For the month of October, the jitters in my stomach turned to butterflies of excitement. The end of the weekends just meant Halloween was getting closer. Instead of fearing that everyone's eyes were on me in the middle school hallways, I searched instead for decorations, forming a particular attachment to the simplest of banners, printed out with a fancy font and clip art of a witch flying across a moon, that simply said, "Happy Halloween". (Perhaps I liked it so much because it replaced whatever "welcome" banner had been there before it, constantly reminding me of my newness.) I wrote about Halloween obsessively in my journals, and happily chose my second-ever pumpkin costume to wear that year, drawing out possibilities for how I would style it in one of my many notebooks. I remember talking in detail about how the anticipation made me feel; again, probably the first time I ever truly acknowledged it in that way. Middle school may have felt like a bully, but it could not plow through Halloween to get to me. Halloween was my protector, and it kept me safe and happy.

(This was the costume I chose that year. I wanted green tights but wound up with black, and I believe I wore my hair in pigtails.)

Until, of course, sadly, it had to end. 

To say Halloween's end hit me like a ton of bricks that year would be an understatement. And to add insult to injury,  Halloween had fallen on a Sunday that year. In the matter of one magical, but short, day, I was suddenly back to square one with my middle school anxiety. I'd quite literally wished the weekend away to get to Halloween, but then it came and went. The perfect wall between myself and my perceived problems was being torn down, and I didn't know what to do. When I went back to school in the morning, that banner I loved would probably be gone. No one would be talking about what they were going to dress up as, or what candies they hoped to get. Everything was just going to go back to this strange new normal. 

As I began to deteriorate back into my pre-October self, the me that didn't have Halloween to count on in the near future anymore, my mother asked me, since we weren't going to take the decorations down for probably another week or so anyway, why I didn't just try to keep it going a little while longer. 

I wasn't exactly sure how to do this at first, but then I remembered a scene from the Halloween episode of Pepper Ann, in which one of the characters came up with the concept of "Halloweek". In the show, Halloweek was the week leading into Halloween, but, I figured, since Halloween had fallen on a Sunday, why couldn't it be the start of something instead? Like how Christmas celebrations often bleed into New Year's? I quickly went to work, trying to come up with a "theme" for each night of the coming week, each relating to something specific that I loved about Halloween. Sadly, I don't remember all of them. The only ones I recall for sure were "Costume Night", on which I dressed up in my costume again, and "Doggie Night", a reference to the the fact that I loved seeing dogs out and about, and running to the doors, on Halloween night. This was celebrated by piling a bunch of stuffed dogs onto my bed. I'm pretty sure I also intended to watch Halloween-y movies throughout this Halloweek, though I'm not sure what I would have watched, as I wasn't into horror yet. My only real option at this point would have been Hocus Pocus, though it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility that I would have watched that every night for a week. It makes me sad that I don't fully remember, nor do I remember if I actually was able to follow through and keep my Halloween celebration going for the entire week. I have a vague memory of my father needing to do something with the computer that was in my room during Costume Night, actually. But the important thing, I suppose, was that I tried. This year, and this attempted week-long celebration of Halloween, was definitely a turning point in my realization that I didn't have to limit myself to just one night a year. 

Nothing has to be "seasonal", if it makes us happy.

Stay spooky, my friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while