Skip to main content

Orphan: First Kill//October 144th, 2023

 I recently, finally, was able to watch the movie Orphan: First Kill and it made such an impression on me that I wanted to talk about it/give a little review. This will contain spoilers, for both this movie and the original Orphan, so if you haven't seen either of these movies and are planning to someday, I wouldn't recommend reading this, as it's better to go into these movies fairly blind.

I saw the original Orphan movie almost immediately when it first came out. I love creepy kids, and while I have no plans to ever actually bear a child, if for any reason I ever end up with one, I pray they're a spooky kid. But anyway, while I don't come back to Orphan in the same way that I come back to certain other movies (primarily the ones that are set on/have something more to do with Halloween), though I have rewatched it several times, it has stayed with me since that very first viewing.

If you don't know, the Orphan movies are about a seemingly normal, albeit slightly old-fashioned, little girl named Esther. In the first movie, Esther is adopted by the Coleman family and soon starts exhibiting all sorts of disturbing, concerning behaviors, up to and including murder. Now, I've seen many stories, both real and fictional, where a life of abuse and/or neglect leads to a child having serious issues, so it was very easy to just assume that's what was happening here. 

However, it turns out that 'Esther' is actually a thirty-three-year-old woman named Leena Klammer, who has a rare form of dwarfism that gives her the appearance of a child around ten years of age. Leena is extremely mentally ill, and is actually, ultimately, an escapee from a mental health facility in Estonia, who cons families by passing herself off as a child and robbing them, and usually trying to seduce her adoptive "fathers". 

One of the taglines of the original movie was You'll never guess her secret, and, I have to hand it to the people who created this story, I most definitely never would have guessed that! I found it to be pretty brilliant, and, as I said, it stayed with me.

 I was surprised, but happy, when a sequel was eventually announced. I was curious as to how it could possibly be done, over a decade later, with Isabelle Fuhrman, who plays Esther/Leena, now an actual grown woman, but the production team really made it work, shooting from special angles and having the adult characters wear special shoes to make them appear much taller than her, etc. 

First Kill is actually meant to be a prequel to the original Orphan, showing us how the persona of "Esther" initially came to be. It introduces us to Leena while she was still in the mental hospital, working out an escape plan. Here we get a better sense of just how frustrating Leena's condition is for her, as much as she leans into it for her own benefit.

Leena does, of course, manage to escape, leaving a body count in her wake, as she does, and once she's safely away from the hospital, she searches missing girls of a certain age group online, to try and find one that she could possibly pass as. Lo and behold, she stumbles across a little girl nearly identical to herself called Esther Albright, who has been missing for four years. She plants herself in a park late at night, runs into a police officer, identifies herself as Esther, and is soon whisked away to be reunited with her "family."

Father Allen Albright is thrilled to have his little girl back, while mom Tricia seems exceedingly wary of "Esther". 

And we soon find out she has every reason to be, as this movie manages to pull off another shocking, never-would-have-seen-it coming twist: 

The real Esther is dead. 

Esther Albright was actually murdered, possibly by accident, possibly not, by her older brother Gunnar, four years ago. To protect Gunnar from going to jail, Tricia helped him cover it up. Allen was never informed of this and the entire family carried on as if Esther had been kidnapped. 

And this is where things get really convoluted, morally, because, while John and Kate Coleman were flawed in many ways, they were still very much human and easy to root for. Their children, Danny and Max, were also entirely innocent and it was honestly heartbreaking to see Esther's manipulation of them, particularly Max, a five year old little girl who was visibly so excited to have a sister. However, in First Kill, Tricia and Gunnar are honestly horrible people. They're the literal definition of privilege and affluence, and it's never made clear if the real Esther's death was actually an accident, but it certainly doesn't sound like it. And the fact that Gunnar has gotten away with it for so long certainly hasn't done him any favors in the ego department. The kid truly believes he's untouchable.

Tricia is not much better, covering up the crime, speaking in such a cold and nonchalant way about the death of her young daughter, lying about it to everyone including her husband, and then essentially teaming up with Leena because she likes what Esther's return has done to said husband. It's extremely messed up, to say the least.

Leena is enchanted with Allen, and, gross as it sounds, the two do have some chemistry and seem to understand one another. This movie is strange because the main villain, who we've seen at her absolute worst both in the previous movie and the beginning of this one, is honestly a more likable character than the mother of the family. While there's certainly no condoning her actions, Leena at least has the excuse of mental illness and trauma, and is also very obviously frustrated by her physical condition. It's sad, in a way, that a lot of her issues most likely stem from the fact that no one will ever be able to truly perceive her as an adult. Judging by her actions in the previous movie, and in the beginning of this one with a guard who appears to be a pedophile, it seems that the only way Leena believes she can be loved as a woman, is if she can first make herself be loved as a child. While disturbing, her actions make sense...whereas Tricia is just a conniving rich bitch who's been lying to her husband about their daughter's death for the past four years.

Leena and Tricia definitely have a very interesting dynamic, and it's very fun to watch, as there are times you're truly not sure which one is more unhinged. 

While I don't know for sure that I was technically rooting for Leena in this one, I certainly couldn't wait to see Tricia get what was coming to her. I only wish that Allen could have known the truth before he died, as he was truly the only person innocent in this whole mess. It's unfair, in a way. But still, it was absolutely brilliant plot twist and made for a very intense movie, that I think I may have enjoyed more than the first. Prequels have a tendency to fall flat sometimes, as you get the sense that you already know how it's going to play out, but that was so not the case with Orphan: First Kill. I'm truly glad that this movie was made. 

I am curious if we'll be seeing more of Esther/Leena in the future (with the alternate ending of the first movie it definitely could be possible), but if this is it, I'm satisfied.

Stay spooky, my friends. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while