Skip to main content

Those Mysterious Once A Yearers//October 11th, 2022

 I'm really not the type to "gatekeep". I don't think there should be any sort of justification needed for enjoying something, no matter how your enjoyment of it measures up, or doesn't, to that of other people. There's nothing wrong with being a lifelong fan or a brand new one, discovering something because your parents loved it or because it suddenly became popular. I actually, personally, have a strange relationship, or rather non-relationship, with music because of judgement and gatekeeping. It's crappy.

But yet, I can't help but feel a strange, and, I can't lie, pretty negative curiosity toward the people I like to refer to as "once a yearers".

This is my term for the people that only celebrate Halloween once a year.

For the record, I don't actually think there's anything inherently wrong with enjoying seasons, you know, seasonally. As many of you know if you've been reading my blog for awhile, I have a weird love for Valentine's Day, but wouldn't want smiling hearts and silhouettes of Cupid as year-round decor. (Though I do actually have a Michael Myers as Cupid die cut up year round that I adore, but I digress.) Even when I enjoyed Christmas a lot more, it always felt strange seeing Christmas stuff any time that wasn't between mid-November and New Year's. You can appreciate a season without wanting to make it the basis of your entire existence, as Halloween is to me.

And yet, I can't help but wonder how these people live! 

I recently visited a street fair in my heart's home of Sleepy Hollow, New York. The whole town was super busy, and there were so many people doing photo ops, carrying props around the cemetery, dressed spooky...and while it didn't necessarily bother me, it definitely made me think. 

These people, for the most part, all looked and acted a lot like me. All dressed up in spooky attire, some in full costume, and carrying props to photograph around the cemetery or in front of dear old "Lawrence Pumpkinhead", as I call the pumpkin scarecrow that returns to the town clock every year. They looked like they were having fun, and honestly? It felt so nice to blend in for once. To not be the weird girl who's always too early or too late for Halloween. To just be part of the fun. 

But it made me a little sad, too. Not because I don't want other people to enjoy Halloween, even if they don't feel it the way that I do, but because I know another few short weeks, these people will all return to their normal human forms, and I will still be a displaced pumpkin. It felt so freeing to able to take out my props in the cemetery, while wearing a spooky outfit, and take some pictures, and just be one of many people all smiling at each other, acknowledging what a wonderful, spooky time it is. But once the calendar says that wonderful, spooky time is over, I go back to being the odd one out. The person who has to hear comments like "It's not Halloween yet!" in regards to my outfits. The person who gets looked at strangely for snapping a picture of a pumpkin in a cemetery. The person who is just too strange, too much. 

It's not easy being a socially anxious person with interests that make me really stand out, let me tell you.

The thing is, I don't begrudge people for enjoying "spooky season", as they call it. Again, there's nothing wrong with enjoying things seasonally. People have their reasons for not wanting live in a Halloween world year round (even if I personally can't fathom those reasons) and they are all valid. But, clearly, Halloween is a source of fun and amusement for these people. Does it really not occur to them that maybe, for some of us, we just simply don't want to turn that off because we turned a page on a calendar? 

Everyone I saw during that street fair looked happy. No one looked like they were forcing themselves to have a good time just because the calendar says we should be doing spooky stuff at this time. Clearly they feel something. They feel the joy that Halloween brings, even if it's simply a season for them. Do they think maybe it wouldn't be as special if they indulged in it year round? Possibly. But why does it not occur to them that maybe, for some of us, it is that special, no matter what the calendar tells us? 

No, you don't have to build your life around something, anything, in order to find it enjoyable, but if you do find it enjoyable, is it really fair to criticize someone who wants to hold onto that feeling? We are all just people trying to enjoy being alive, after all. And maybe some of us feel most alive during a certain time of year. If you can put that happiness on a shelf and move on to the next thing as the seasons change, I suppose that's fine. But the fact that that happiness is there at all, in the first place, means, on some level, you must get it. You understand the joy that Halloween and "spooky season" bring. 

Why, then, is it so hard to accept that some people simply want to feel that all year round? Why give strange looks to the person in front of you at the home decor store, the one who has armfuls of Halloween decor in July? Why act like the person photographing an artificial pumpkin at the halfway point to Halloween in May is the biggest weirdo you've ever come across? 

You have been me. You just chose moderation while I chose maximalism. The joy Halloween can bring remains the same, whether it's October or January. It's not our fault, as spooky people, if some others don't see it that way. 

But the thing is, I think, ultimately, most people do. I feel like the vast majority of the human race can probably say that there's something that makes them happy and gives them a feeling they wish they could hold onto all the time. If the once a yearers could simply think about this fact, I think the world would feel like a much better place for us spooky people. If something can make you happy for a season, then it certainly can make some people happy all year round. 

I have always said that October is the time of year that everyone else is on my level. And it's honestly so much fun to see. I do truly love when everyone is in that mindset. When I'm suddenly getting compliments on my outfit or whatever I might be carrying with me. When I'm just one of the crowd, having fun. It's a confusing feeling though, to see everyone so happy and upbeat, but also know you're expected to just come down from that cloud once the page on the calendar turns. I'll never understand just turning off your interests because society says it isn't "time". 

And those who smile at us in October, should not be throwing shade come November first, when we refuse to retreat back into the shadows for another year. We are all just human beings trying to survive, and I, for one, know that I could not survive a moment of my life without Halloween.

Stay spooky, my friends. I don't know who else may need to hear it, but staying spooky is never a bad thing. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while