Skip to main content

A Contemplation On "Rushing The Seasons"//October 247th, 2022

 Memorial Day has passed on the Gregorian calendar. Halloween is now less than 150 days away. Soon, we will start seeing decor in stores, and feel the shifts in the air as more and more people start to think about  and plan out their Halloweens. 

But, sadly, there is another thing that happens during this time of the calendar year.

The inexplicable species known as “summer people” come out of the woodwork and start whining that autumn people should “STOP RUSHING THE SEASONS!!!!”, as if it’s some horrible crime not to enjoy sweltering hot weather and blinding sun. As if it’s a crime to enjoy and look forward to something that takes a long and painful year to make its way back to us.

No one, not even those inexplicable summer folk, should have to feel like like they’re in the wrong for looking forward to something. Throughout my entire life, autumn and Halloween have been my salvation. There are probably many things that I wouldn’t have made it through, if it hadn’t been for the promise of Halloween-time coming back around. Yes, I “rush” it, because it’s the only time I feel truly alive and like I belong in this world. 

But what does “rushing the seasons” even really mean?

First of all, I honestly feel like Halloween actually gets the smallest amount of retail attention in most big-box stores. Yes, craft stores start early, but that’s with every season. Craft stores are marketing to makers, and makers need to have time to, well, make, and if they plan to sell, probably even a little more time to get everything set up and on the market before everyone has already purchased their decor for the season. A craft store being ready for Halloween in July, is honestly right on schedule. There are a few other stores who start early, like At Home or, to a slightly lesser extent, the TJX stores, but for every store that starts early, there’s a store like Walmart or Target that doesn’t really get going until September, or sometimes even October itself, once the back to school stuff is cleared out, and then, by the time these stores’ Halloween sections are fully stocked, a day or two later, they’re being downsized to make way for Christmas. Christmas starts earlier and earlier each year, both in stores and just in general. My entire being cringes when I think about the Hallmark Channel marathoning their basic, repetitive Christmas romance movies on Halloween night, but I know it happens. Wouldn't the definition of “rushing the seasons” be celebrating one holiday on the night of another? Because it sure sounds suspicious to me. Regardless, my point here is, if Halloween didn’t start early by layman standards, merchandise would be on the shelf for maybe two weeks at best, with the way Christmas is pushed.

But Christmas isn't the only season that seems to have to some sort of free pass to be rushed. 

Take a moment, if you're in the US, to think about Memorial Day. This holiday, supposed to be a day of remembrance of those that gave their lives so that we could freely live ours, has become known as little more than the explosive start to summer. That in itself is honestly disgusting. Summer people can't even be bothered to listen to the lyrics of some of the country songs they blast while getting trashed at their twice-a-week barbecues and understand that Memorial Day is not actually a holiday about drinking and barbecuing. It's not meant to signify summer, it's meant to signify something much deeper than that! 

The meaning of the holiday isn't the only thing that summer people can't seem to grasp, though. While they bleat like a dying sheep on a broken record about "rushing the seasons", never once do they stop and consider the fact that Memorial Day falls in May. Is it completely wrong to say they're making fools of themselves, running around berating others for "rushing the seasons", when they're literally trying to say that summer starts almost a whole month before the actual summer solstice?! 


Of course, people have their reasons for liking summer, and willing it to be here sooner than it actually is, but I have my reasons for disliking it (one of which being I have actual reverse seasonal depression and would feel like complete overheated dog shit in summer even if my favorite holiday was July 4th) and hey, if you love a season so much you're basically trying to break the laws of science to insist it starts sooner than it actually does, maybe you should have some empathy and understanding for people that feel that way about a different season, especially one that gets "rushed" away very quickly by a holiday that's not until two months later. 

And for the love of God, please, if you are following someone on social media who runs a page dedicated to autumn and/or Halloween, whether it's a personal page or a public group or anything of the sort, do not under any circumstances make "rushing the seasons" comments on those pages. You know who you followed. Complaining about "early" seasonal content on a page that's clearly devoted to that season either makes you look an asshole or an idiot, or some combination of the two. 

Also, is it really "ruining your summer" to have to walk past some fake leaves and plastic pumpkins when you go into a store? Or see an excited friend counting down on social media? As autumn/Halloween people, we struggle with the things we're searching for in the stores literally being ripped from the shelves to make way for Christmas. No one is taking away your pool, your barbecue, or your beach vacation so that an autumn person can buy a pumpkin in July or early August. Just walk on by and go grab your pool cleaner or watermelon or whatever it is that summer people shop for. No one is asking you, particularly, to "rush the seasons" if you don't want to.

For some of us, seeing that first, "too early" sign of autumn or Halloween in a store brings us back to life. Shouldn't we embrace that, no matter what the calendar says?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while