Skip to main content

BEGINNING To Look A Lot Like Christmas?!?!//October 84th, 2021

 As you probably already know, Christmas is not my thing. I did a detailed post about that last year, so I won’t bore anyone with repeating myself, but I would like to reiterate that one of my big reasons for not enjoying this time of year, is the fact that I have a retail job. And, having a retail job means hearing a lot of Christmas songs on repeat for at least a month.

I tend to have a lot of goofy thoughts regarding these songs, such as the probability of a grown man listing “girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes” among his favorite things ending up on a list, or the fact that my all-time least favorite, It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year, sounds incredibly sarcastic when you really listen to it. However, today I heard It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, and found myself asking, “WTF do you mean, beginning?! It’s been looking a lot like Christmas since September!” 

And so I was inspired to rewrite the song, to address the issues that we in the Halloween community face each year because Christmas can’t ever seem to wait its turn.

This was all done in good fun, of course, and as a way to satisfy my starved creative spirit during the time of year that work is at its most all-consuming. It’s not meant to shade anyone who enjoys Christmas as well as Halloween, but I think it’s something many of us can agree on, ultimately. We’ve all gotten to a store excited to Halloween-shop, only to find the seasonal aisle already overrun by Christmas and the Halloween stuff being pulled from the shelves to accommodate it.

Without further ado, I present to you the spooky bitch’s version of It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas:

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas 

Everywhere you go

Take a look at the Walmart shelves

All full of trees and elves.

One aisle over, Jack O'Lanterns glow


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas 

Displays in every store

But all I want to see

Are the pumpkins that should be out on the sales floor!


A brand new pumpkin that's cute and a ghost that says boo are what made me come to this place 

But it's all Christmas stock and I can't even walk without seeing Santa's face

I wish December 25th could wait for the time and place!


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas 

Everywhere you go

There's a tree in the local mall

The kids are all having a ball

In piles of leaves because it's way too soon for snow!


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas 

How'd this madness start?!

It's October, can't you see?! 

And Halloween should be what's within your heart!


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas 

Earlier each year

Christmas starts before Halloween 

It makes me want to scream 

WAIT UNTIL IT'S HERE!!!


It may not be Grammy worthy material, but it amused me, and I hope it amuses you too. 


Stay spooky, my friends, and have a merry, scary whatever you celebrate. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while