Skip to main content

Meet The Pumpkins: TheBeastPeddler’s Pumpkids

 One of my goals with this blog for 2021 has been to introduce my collection and their stories/personalities a little bit more. I’m kind of out of practice with such things, as I really haven’t written profiles and the like since I collected “normal” dolls several years ago, but a trip to the cemetery yesterday really inspired me to finally kick this off, with my group of “Pumpkids” from an amazing artist who calls herself The Beast Peddler .

From left to right we have Hebbard, his tiny sister Wynna, and cousins Abe and Lauretta.

Abe and Lauretta were the first Pumpkid additions to the family. They arrived on the same day and I immediately got the sense that, though she is smaller and appears just slightly younger, Lauretta was the more level-headed one, while Abe was the goofball.

Case and point, Abe thought this box should be either his tomb or his bed, and you can see that Lauretta is half-amused, half losing patience.




Abe is an explorer and tends to be very fascinated by the world around him. He’s a noticer, sometimes noticing things that none of the other pumpkins do.

He also has quite a sense of humor, which jives well with cousin Hebbard’s. Hebbard is probably Abe’s best friend/


Lauretta, often nicknamed “Etta”, as in the tombstone she found above, is intellectual but a dreamer at the same time.

She went on a trip to Sleepy Hollow in 2019, and has since become obsessed with the place. She is incredibly drawn to it and at times believes she may be related to some of the pumpkins there, possibly even the pumpkin that once belonged to the Headless Horseman himself. She always accompanies me on trips to Sleepy Hollow, even if she’s not always seen in pictures, and shares my longing to be there permanently, as well as all inspiration based around the place. 




Lauretta is easily the most like me out of all the pumpkins. She often assists me with things. While she does love her brother Abe and her cousins Hebbard and Wynna, she is more often found spending time on her own, dreaming and contemplating, or occasionally joining the “girl squad” that some of the other female pumpkins seem to have formed. She loves anything and everyone that reminds her of Sleepy Hollow.

Sometimes Abe and her cousins make fun of her for always complaining that she’s not in Sleepy Hollow, hence this picture.

This really may be her most defining picture. 

Hebbard is the eternal goofball of this Pumpkid family. He is silly, childlike, innocent, and doesn’t concern himself much with reality or any subject that could be considered too heavy. He just likes to have fun and doesn’t take himself, or anything really, too seriously.

Hence why he was the only one willing to pose with this rather unfortunate tombstone we ran across yesterday. (I assure you, no one actually thinks Hebbard is a loser, he was use the only one in a silly enough old for this pic.)

Aside from his Pumpkid relatives, Hebbard also spends a lot of time with Tiela the teacup demon and Penderghast the ghost poppet. The three of them seem to speak a language that no one else understands at times, and Hebbard seems his most contemplative when he’s with them, though they can sometimes be little troublemakers!

Hebbard is also a favorite of Enoch, as he reminds him quite a bit of himself as a much younger pumpkin. Enoch often says he hopes that Hebbard always maintains his childlike innocence. 

Wynna is the newest member of the Pumpkid family and the tiny sister of Hebbard. She doesn’t say much, but she’s very swift and adventurous. It’s hard to say if she’s curious or just a little daredevil!

Wynna often does things that none of her older Pumpkid relatives would. Abe and Hebbard tend to worry about her, while Lauretta often complains about having to “babysit”, but she’s secretly usually very impressed and amused by Wynna’s antics, especially when she winds up pulling Abe and Hebbard into crazy adventures with her.

In short, the Pumpkids are a tight-knit little family, whether or not Lauretta would ever admit it, and are definitely a lively bunch to have along on adventures. 

Stay spooky, my friends, and look forward to more pumpkin profiles to come! I’m not sure if they’ll all be formatted like this or what, but this was definitely fun to write and I’m coming up with so many more ideas as I sit here!



























Comments

  1. Wonderful ❤️ Thank you for this story I love how you put your dolls in a story and take photos they take on a life. I wrote earlier so I will rewrite I have always liked your beloved Abe I felt a connection with him and his adventures. I now know why you brought him to a better perspective now I can say I love him more. I first met and seen Lauretta after you made a photoshoot with her and Headless horseman I found it so cute that lauretta had a little spark and crush on him even though his head was smaller than hers. That didn't bother her at all. I loved it.
    I seen Hebbard in other posts but today is the very first time I got a new way of knowing his personality such a since of humor and the way he took a shot of the tombstone loser. I like how he was drawn there I don't know why the person was named loser but even if it is the persons real name or not I can tell how that name must of haunted him during his lifetime because certain people can be cruel. I am hoping that when Hebbard was posing with Tombstone somehow the deseased seen and it made him not be lonely and made him smile.
    I said this before but your posts and now this story and I will be reading more to come have made me feel something inside me that I haven't had in a long time its that Halloween spirit I somehow forgot that I even had. You are one Amazing writer Katie ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have always enjoyed giving my dolls and decorations, and pretty much everything around me, a backstory and personality. I just see so much potential in things, and these pumpkins inspire me so much. It really does almost feel like being on an adventure with tiny living beings.

      I do wonder about that poor soul with the last name “Loser”...I’m hoping at the very least that maybe it’s pronounced differently, but still, what a name to go through life with. I do also hope that, when I visit these cemeteries, that I bring some sort of joy to the spirits that may be around the area.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while