Skip to main content

Evolution//October 129th, 2021

 (As a preface to this entry, I’m going to strongly suggest reading this entry first.)

Every one of my Halloween decorations had a life of its own when I was a kid. It didn’t matter how big or how small, what its function was meant to be; even the faceless, real pumpkins were more than just decor. It’s highly likely that I even named the cornstalks tied to the mailbox. I treated each Halloween season like different installments in a movie franchise, or different volumes of a book series. The decorations would come out of their box and immediately begin going on all sorts of adventures, even if only in my own mind. No one was ever left out.

To this day, when choosing items for my collection, I drift toward the things I immediately see a personality in. I’ve been told that I’m good at “capturing the souls” of the items I photograph, and that is because I truly see them. Even if I can’t always put things into words right away, I can assure you, I always see the personalities of my pumpkins and other Halloween friends. There is not a single item among my current collection that doesn’t evoke some kind of emotion in me. I feel connected to each and every piece, as if I’m their conduit somehow in the conscious world. 

I think this may be the main reason why it was so difficult for me to choose from those cupcakes picks in the post I linked to. They certainly weren’t just cupcake picks to me. I looked at them, when my mother brought them home from the store that day, an immediately connected to them. They may have just looked like tiny, impaled heads, but my mind gave them bodies and personalities and voices. They were so much more to me than what the average eye could see, and so I spent significant amounts of time, even after ultimately choosing the witch, wondering if I’d made the right decision and still wishing desperately that I could’ve kept them all. To me, that witch was always a displaced member of a group. 

 A few nights ago, the cupcake picks randomly appeared in a dream I was having, which was mainly about walking to my aunt’s house, from my childhood home, in the snow with no shoes. Somewhere during the course of my visit, I discovered racks full of cake decorations in one of her cabinets, and lo and behold, among them were my long-lost kindergarten cupcake pick friends. I woke up in the middle of frantically trying to gather one of each (and a few others that looked Rosbro-inspired) and wondered to myself if it was finally time to purchase myself a set.

The cupcake picks actually aren’t terribly hard to find. I’ve seen several listings on Etsy, but never pulled the trigger, mostly because I have a tendency to lose tiny things and don’t really know what I’d do with a bunch of stray cupcake picks. I’m not at all crafty. But, as I sat there, contemplating what might be a good way to display them (a tiny pumpkin pail with a very small opening?), I was lucky enough to run across a listing that I knew was meant for me to buy.


An artist on Etsy, called “HavAMarileeChristmas”, made my beloved cupcake picks into tiny dolls! 

I may not be able to remember the exact characters I saw in my head when I was five years old, but I truly feel like these little dolls depict them so well. At last, I see those tiny little heads evolved into their full potential, full-bodied and glorious, the way they always were to me, so many years ago.

I am especially proud of my little witch friend, once lonely and haphazardly displayed next to the clock in my childhood bedroom. So many times I picked her up and imagined her as a whole doll, and now, finally, here she is, with an outfit, a broom of her own, and even some sparkly hair! These four are truly my childhood dream come to life. I suppose it makes sense that it was a dream that ultimately led me to them.

Stay spooky, my friends.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while