Skip to main content

What Makes A Neighborhood Witch?//October 90th, 2020

Do you remember those characters that were so common in children’s media in the 80s and 90s? Those women who lived alone, or maybe with cats? Perhaps they had some sort of physical ailment or deformity that made them stand out in a not-so-great way? The ones all the neighborhood kids feared and wouldn’t so much as pass by her house alone? The one they called ‘Witch’?

 I should’ve known I was destined for a spooky existence when I saw those types of characters and immediately thought, as it would be put today, “GOALS!”

In fact, my mother once told me, during some fight we were having, most likely around the time leading into my puberty, that I was so mean, that would likely be my future. Old and alone, and feared by everyone in the neighborhood. When I defiantly responded by yelling “GOOD!”, I don’t think my mother realized that I meant it. I wasn’t just trying to be a brat; I honestly found that kind of life intriguing. I’m not quite sure why, if it was solely the thought of being regarded as scary, or perhaps the luxury of being left alone by annoying children and nosy neighbors, but I always had a fondness and understanding for that type of character. Even the way the worst ones portrayed in movies or TV or books, I never actually thought badly of them, and on some level, envied them. I suppose I thought this was the only way to grow up spooky, when I was a kid.

For some reason, this all randomly popped into my head yesterday, and I started thinking about these types of people, and whether or not I’ve ever actually known any. I had to really think about it, but it turns out, I definitely did know someone who would’ve fit the bill.

When I was very young, there was a woman named Dot that lived down the street. On paper, she was almost the textbook definition of the type of character that would be deemed a witch by the neighborhood children. She was very reclusive, due to many physical ailments, mysterious, yet somehow seemed to know everything about everyone. (My mother once referred to her as the mayor of our neighborhood.) The really eerie thing was, if I looked hard enough, I could actually see one of her windows, off in the distance and through the woods, from one side of my childhood home. I could never actually make out any activity, but it was creepy in some way, knowing that light in the distance was the inside of this strange woman’s home, and wondering how much she could see (probably not much unless she had binoculars) if she happened to be looking out her window at the same time. 

I only recall meeting Dot in person once. She lived across the street from a pair of twin girls that I played with sometimes (sadly not creepy twins...they honestly looked nothing alike and were different as night and day in personality) and was good friends with their mother. I remember thinking she was a little odd, but seeing how easy my friends were with her, and knowing how close she was to their mother, ultimately took that spooky intrigue away. And so, I had a neighborhood witch, but basically skipped right to the part in the story where I found out that she was just a kind but sickly, somewhat lonely widow, thus eliminating the adventures in between. 

My clearest memories of Dot, of course, are related to Halloween. Because she had such a hard time moving around, she would rope off the entrance to her driveway on Halloween and hang up a big sign stating that all of her candy was at the house across the street, being distributed by the twins’ mother. Even though part of me wanted to perceive her as that neighborhood witch character, I remember thinking it was so incredibly kind of her to even get candy in the first place, when there were so many people who just turned out their lights and didn’t answer their doors. She always got quite a bit, too, and tended to include little extras, including what would become a prized possession of mine for quite some time.

One year, I think I was around seven or eight, Dot had bought skeleton keychains to give out along with her candy. They were a pretty decent size, and each one had rhinestone eyes in a different color. My skeleton’s eyes were pink, and despite still being a little freaked out by the more “horror” side of Halloween, I fell in love with the thing and desperately wanted to take it everywhere with me, but never did for fear of breaking it. Instead, I kept it safe inside of a purse I never actually used, and every so often would pull it out and just look at it, remembering the magic of Halloween and trick-or-treating. And I would always, of course, think of Dot, and her kindness and generosity despite not being able to truly celebrate Halloween.

As I remember her now, there is a part of me that wonders if perhaps she was a witch after all, and maybe had more important places to be on Halloween night, but a good witch who still wanted to spread joy to the children and maybe help them to find their spooky selves. 

Did anyone else have a neighbor that would’ve fit the “neighborhood witch” description? Or did anyone else want to be that neighbor? I would love to know!

Stay spooky, my friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while