Skip to main content

Have You Seen This Pumpkin?//October 320th, 2020

 Let’s go on a journey today, back to Halloween season 1999.

1999 was an odd year for Yours Ghoul-ly. I was twelve years old and had just started middle school, and to say it was a hard transition would be an understatement. As someone who had few friends to begin with, being put in a larger, more bustling environment made me feel more alone than ever. Learning the ropes, both relating to the new school environment and being a “pre-teen” when I still felt very much like a child, was difficult. I lived for the weekends, and on Sunday nights, my stomach would tie itself in knots in the way only a scared child’s can. It was very difficult for me to think of anything else, because I knew my next school day was always looming right around the corner. Even the most important things to me tend to get lost in times of major transitions, as if I forget who I am for a bit.

There was a Saturday afternoon that year, though, that would change everything, and become a very important part of my Halloween history.

It was either very late September or early October; close enough to Halloween that some houses were decorated, but not so close that Halloween decorations were everywhere yet. My parents decided to take a drive somewhere, I believe to a small fall vendor festival that happened every year a few towns over, and I was happy to go along to try and distract myself from the fact that there was only a day and a half standing between me and my next horrific day of seventh grade. As per usual, I was looking out the window hoping to see some Halloween decorations, though with all the stress I was under, my heart wasn’t truly in it.

But then, I saw her.

We turned up a side street, and there, in the large picture window of a house on the right side, flanked by two candles on the windowsill, was a cardboard cutout of a winking pumpkin.

To this day I don’t know what it is about this particular pumpkin, but something about her just set the jack o’lantern flame inside my heart ablaze. In that moment, my rattled, twelve-year-old brain calmed down for the first time since school started, and I was reminded of what made me truly happy. This was no time to be down and out! Halloween was coming! Suddenly I could see myself trick-or-treating. I could smell the autumn air. I could feel the spooky vibes of Halloween night and everything that came with it. I was alive again, and all because of that winking pumpkin.

Of course, I instantly made it my personal mission to find a pumpkin like her (who I oh-so originally named “Winky”...apparently the stress of seventh grade took a massive toll on my creativity!) to call my own. At the time, Halloween pop-up shops weren’t as big a thing as they are now, so my searches were limited to Party City, a couple of local party stores, and the Halloween sections of places like WalMart, Kmart, or grocery stores. Unfortunately, I had no luck that year, but vowed I’d find her the next.

I did see her again, but never on a store shelf. The following year, she appeared in the window of a house up the hill from my school bus stop. The year after that, she was being used as a decoration on a billboard advertising Halloween events at a local country club. For a couple of years she was also displayed prominently, and appropriately, in the window of a house at the end of a road rumored to be haunted. Given the fact that all the places I’d seen her seemed to local, I assumed she had to be available somewhere nearby, but sadly, I never saw her for sale.

To this day, I search for her on resale sites like eBay, Etsy, and Mercari. I search under every term I can possibly think of, scrolling for however long time permits. I have never once even seen her in an eBay listing or anything of the sort, even as part of a lot. It’s gotten to the point where I’ve almost started to believe she was just some figment of my Halloween-obsessed imagination, sent to bring me back to life when I needed her most. I would almost be ready to settle on that theory if it wasn’t for one small detail:

She appeared in the background of the Halloween episode of Sabrina The Teenage Witch in season four, and I managed to find the episode online and grab a screenshot:

It’s not a great picture, but it’s the only picture I have of her, literally the only proof I have of her existence.

So now I must ask, have you seen this pumpkin? Was she perhaps part of your own childhood decor? Is she really as rare as she seems? And, most importantly, do you know where I might find her? 

She remains, to this day, my ultimate holy grail Halloween item, and pretty much the only one that has eluded me. I would love nothing more than to meet her in person, hold her in my hands at last, and thank her for reminding me of who I am at one of the most difficult points in my life. 

Stay spooky, my friends.


Comments

  1. What I love about your blog post is how you talk about Halloween as something that made you happy, and it got me thinking of how much I love the Halloween community. Ot is filled with people that love Halloween and not like my friends who were excited about costunes or Trick or Treating but really excited by the decorations, the traditions and the excitment of something spooky happening! Halloween just feels different to us and you really touched on that! I love hearing about your history of Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I’ve always known I was very different when it came to my love for Halloween and I how I expressed and related to it, and it wasn’t until I reached adulthood and started finding Halloween accounts on social media that I started meeting more people like myself. I’m glad it comes across in my posts that Halloween has always been more than just a holiday for me, and it makes me so happy that other people that feel the same way can find comfort in it as well. I was always told I would eventually find my niche, and thanks to the Halloween community, I truly have.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Back//October 32nd, 2023

 Every year I talk about November 1st...it's such a confusing day. It makes me feel so many emotions all at once. Mournful, depressed, angry...It's like a slap in the face shoving us into a new month, forcing us to forget what came just hours before. Last year, I did have somewhat of  an epiphany  regarding the month of November as a whole, and while I do my best to keep my own past words in mind, that doesn't make today any easier. Or easy to explain, for that matter. I suppose I should speak from my heart.  Today I feel detached from reality, as if I don't really exist. Like there is no longer a place in the world for me. Just yesterday everything I loved made sense, and was loved and revered by everyone else as well. I felt like I fit. But now, today, I see those same things being quickly shoved away. Less than twenty-four hours after trick-or-treating time began, it's all being swept under the rug. The season culminated and the world is no longer a place I recog

The Spooky Community Has No Entrance Fee//October 288th, 2023

 Something I’ve been seeing a lot this year around the Halloween community, possibly more than any other year, has been talk of consumerism, how much money spent on Halloween is too much, whether collecting is really that important or if it’s somehow required to truly be a part of the community, etc. I’m in no way trying to copy anyone else who’s already spoken on this subject, but I thought I would chime in and share my thoughts, as it is something I definitely think about. Now, I’ve always been relatively fortunate when it comes to how much money I have to spend on Halloween goodies. As a child, I often received money for my birthday, September 8th, at the height of the shopping season, at least as I knew it back then. No, it wasn’t enough to collect the way I do now, but it was enough to make me happy, and you also could get a lot more for a lot less back then. I didn’t necessarily stop to think about my “hauls”, but I knew even at a young age that there was nothing I’d rather be sp

Here’s Where The Story Ends//October 337th, 2020

 Everyone has moments in their life when they feel like giving up. That feeling of “This is never going to happen, so why keep trying?” Sometimes it relates to a thing that would be trivial to anyone else, sometimes it’s about something more life-altering. But, we’ve all been there. I have moments of discouragement with this blog. Times I’ve told myself, “No one cares”, or “No one will read this”, etc., but I continue on, for the joy of it. And sometimes, something amazing happens. If you haven’t read my previous post,  Have You Seen This Pumpkin? , I would strongly suggest doing so before continuing on with this story. The short version is, I saw a pumpkin in someone’s window when I was twelve years old, and have spent the last twenty-one years trying to find it for myself.  When I published that post, I wasn’t expecting much of a response. I was really just hoping to hear someone say, “Yes, my family had this pumpkin when I was a kid!” Or “I once saw this in a neighbor’s window while